Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my phone but staying with O2

johne53
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My mobile phone is over 10 years old and it's long overdue for replacing. I'm looking at the new Galaxy Z Fold 2 from Samsung - but AFAICT O2 only offer this phone as part of an ongoing contract. I've only ever been on PAYG so a couple of questions:-

1) If I bought this on a 36 month contract including calls & data etc - who owns the phone at the end of the contract?

2) Alternatively, if I bought a cheaper (unlocked) one - for example a refurb - would O2 accept it as a replacement for my existing phone and continue letting me have a SIM only deal?

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@johne53 

1 - You own it once paid for.

2 - Yes

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@johne53 

1 - You own it once paid for.

2 - Yes

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@johne53 Rather than buy a refurb from O2, you can take a sim only contract and buy a less expensive but brand new phone from anywhere.

Edit: You could also stay on PAYG and get a new phone elsewhere.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 16

johne53
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Many thanks guys - good to know!
Message 4 of 16

johne53
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry to ask a dumb question but what happens to all my stored contacts if I change my phone (phone numbers etc). Is there some procedure for saving them and transferring them to a new phone?

Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@johne53 

Guide: Backing up your phone 

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

johne53
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the link.... I'm using Android here (though a pretty old version) and the link tells me that an Android account automatically infers a Google account - which can be used for syncing.

Windows (on my PC) does seem to have a Google drive account but it's not accessible from my phone AFAICT (i.e. there's no Google Drive app listed among Android apps).  It only lists Gmail and something called Google Search.

Might it be worth taking the phone into an O2 shop and seeing if they can help?

P.S. I'm not sure why I thought this but I always thought contacts could be saved onto my SIM card somehow - and that in turn made it easier somehow to move everything to a new phone (or am I wrong about that??)

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@johne53 

You can copy your contacts to your sim but you are limited to the amount that can be saved.

Your Google backup account is just simply your Google ID.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

johne53
  • 10 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

" Your Google backup account is just simply your Google ID "

But wouldn't I need an app on the phone to access it (for backing stuff up) ? Or can it all be done through the Android browser?

Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@johne53 

No apps, it's just a sync service.

The limiting factor will be your current phone and if it is capable of syncing with Google due to it's age.

Check here to see if your contacts are saved https://contacts.google.com/?hl=en

Currently using:
Message 10 of 16