cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change number from one contract account to another

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've held the same phone number on my phone for the past 5+ years which my mother always paid for whilst I was young but now I'm older I want to start paying for it myself.  I have bought a new phone and sim card last month and have my own separate o2 account to the one my mother used for both my phone and her phone and I am now looking to move my old number over to my new, personal account as like I mentioned I have used the phone number for over 5 years and do not want to lose it.  Both the old contract of mine (which my mother paid for) and my new contract are both contracts (not pay as you go) and as a result it appears to have made it very difficult to try and move the number over.  We have tried for multiple weeks and still have made no progress.  If it is possible, please tell me how this can be achieved as I seek to do so as soon as possible. 

Thankyou,

Billy.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's easy to transfer it but your mother must request the release of the number and you must approve the transfer to your new account.
You need to call CS on 202 and you both need to be on the call and pass the respective account security checks.
This will immediately close your old account in your mothers name and a final bill will be produced. This will include cancellation fees if the account isn't due an upgrade.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A contract in your mother's name would need to be paid up and you take a contract out in your name. She would have to phone up and transfer the number to yourself. It's a little messy but it can be done.

Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's easy to transfer it but your mother must request the release of the number and you must approve the transfer to your new account.
You need to call CS on 202 and you both need to be on the call and pass the respective account security checks.
This will immediately close your old account in your mothers name and a final bill will be produced. This will include cancellation fees if the account isn't due an upgrade.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 8

Morpheus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Costomer service via chat told me transfering number to another contract was not possible.

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Live chat don’t know what day it is half the time.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Morpheus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've also just confirmed with customer service verbally that I can't move my business phone number which is out of contract to an in contract phone that isn't being used and will not be used. Of coarse you could start using the in contract phone with the new number, which I don't want to do due to contacts who have my existing number 😞

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can as long as you close down the business account.
There is no problem swapping one number to another account but what you can't do is switch numbers between accounts.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Live chat don’t know what day it is half the time.

A bit harsh...you have to take into account the time difference...speak_no_evil

Message 8 of 8