cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use a toll-free number when roaming in Italy?

AlanCA
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When on holiday in Italy recently I tried to dial a "toll-free" number given to me to use to contact a car hire company. When I dialled the number on my O2 PAYG SIM I was given a voice message saying this number is not valid.

Should such numbers work on an O2 PAYG SIM?

The number given was 800 87 6272. That is all. On my paperwork it says "TOLL FREE NUMBER FROM ITALY 800 87 6272". I tried various combinations of prefixes such as 00, 0039, 0044, but none was valid. There was credit on the SIM, it worked OK in Italy for normal chargeable Italian or UK numbers.

Does the O2 PAYG roaming agreement in Italy include "TOLL FREE" numbers? The operators that connected to my phone there were ITIM and IWIND. This number did not work with either of these networks. I have asked O2 help desk and in-store and nobody seems to know. I have tried IWIND and ITIM stores and they don't know either. When I collected my rental car the breakdown number on the keyfob was of a similar nature. If I had broken down I would have been stuck as I could not have called it.

Is there anyone out there who really knows the answer?

Is there anyone out there who is in Italy and can try the number for me?

Many thanks for any help that can be offered.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You can't call a UK toll free number from abroad.
You should always be given an international number to call in such instances.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

@AlanCA If you use Skype to make the call you can call toll free. I'm not sure about any other VOIP. Just out of curiosity, did you try the prefix +44800 from your phone?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 13

AlanCA
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Folks, just to point out this is supposed to be an ITALIAN toll-free number. i.e. free to call in Italy. Italians can call it on their mobiles so should I be able to call it on my O2 PAYG SIM if I am in Italy roaming? I can call all other normal Italian numbers and can call all UK normal numbers.

So, Just to point out - check the breakdown number on the key fob of your Italian hire car. If its a "toll-free" number of this form you may not be able to use it from your mobile if you break down! Ask at the rental desk for a normal number for breakdown service when you take the car.

Message 4 of 13

AlanCA
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for ideas. This was the only number I had so no good for Skype I think. I tried the number alone, then 00 as prefix, then 0039 as prefix, then 0044 as prefix. None worked.

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

I suspect then that you should have dialled 00 800 87 6272.

Edited as you have already tried that.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions
@AlanCA Did you by any chance try +39 as the prefix?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Does your phone have Dial Assist which automatically is supposed to determine which country you are trying to call?
If so, it could be seeing it as a UK number and auto dialling it as such. Might be worth trying with dial assist turned off and then just dialling 00800.......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @AlanCA and welcome Wave Did you get a chance to look at the latest suggestions above? Any progress since you last posted?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 13

AlanCA
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5,

Thanks for your ideas. I have checked the call history on my phone (Moto G 2nd edition) and the call record shows Italy against it so it appears to have tried to dial the number as an Italian one.

I am going to Germany soon so I will see if they offer me any toll-free numbers there such as a breakdown number for a hire car. I will try the number before I leave the hire office to see if it works.

I am preparing myself by getting normal numbers for any organisations that I may need to contact and not assuming that the information on my car hire voucher is correct.

If I have the same problem with a German toll-free number then I will post a warning on the forum.

Regards

Message 10 of 13