Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can O2 refuse a refund?? Please help!

LottieJosh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is a long post but please, bare with me...

I wish I wasn't having to write this as its regarding my late Grandpa's pay as you go account with O2. He sadly passed away earlier this year.

When trying to close my Grandpa's O2 account, they have offered a refund of his PAYG credit, however not a full refund! My Grandpa had a international bolt on, on his phone and was of the understanding he needed to top it up on a regular basis to keep this benefit. He rarely used his mobile and therefore built up a credit balance of over £450.

O2 have informed me they can only refund £350 of his credit due to anti money laundering rules and advised I looked to the FCA. I've contacted the FCA who are not aware of this rule and advised I asked O2 which specific section of the FCA handbook they are referring to. I've also asked O2 if they can show me their policy on this matter. To this day, they are unable to find this information for me and say 'it's just a known rule'.

The money isn't a major issue, what my major gripe is, why should the big conglomerate of O2 telephonica pocket this money, my Grandpa's hard earned cash... its not like they will give this money to charity!

O2 have advised they can not provide me with balance information despite me being an executor to my Grandpa's Will. They have however advised I can use the credit!!! I just don't understand this. I've informed them I am no longer in possession of his sim card as I had requested they closed his account so assumed this was done and therefore discarded his sim.

Can anyone shed any light on this rule of only offering a partial refund. It just completely baffles me. As I said, it's not actually the money I'm after, it's just the principle of them benefitting from my Grandpa's death 😓.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
No worries I knew this family would have helped you better as they no the in and out
Message 11 of 11