cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boy, have I learnt an expensive lesson !

Montysmum
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 16 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi Everybody, 

Haven;t chatted for a while, hope you're all fit & healthy. Well after 6 months you'd think i'd have got the hang of this smart phone thing would'nt you ? well apparantly not. I went to bed last night with around 8GB of data left on my phone, checked if it needed charging, no, closed it up, left on standby as i always do, all is well, went to bed. However at 7am this morning boy,did I get a shock, opened my phone to the messages that not only had i run out of offer data but I had also run out of big bundle data too, I must have forgotton to close the internet pages I was looking at & whilst I was  sleeping thay were busy at work eating up my 8GB of data, so have now had to purchase an add on, although I'm sure I'll need a few more before my next big bundle renewal at the end of the month, would'nt have cared so much but I only topped up last week. Not to worry there's nothing I can do abought it only learn not to do it again. Gormlous or what? Hope the rest of the day's not going to follow suit. Love to you all

Montysmum

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Montysmum 

Long time no see. wink

That was a bit of a bummer with your data, although I wouldn't have thought it possible to use all that data overnight while your phone is sleeping as such. I often leave apps running when I go to bed and just seem to lose battery power not data.

Personally I would give customer services a call and see what they have to say. They may offer you some more data as a gesture of goodwill. Guide: How to find help & contact O2

They may also reset  your account. 

Best of luck anyway . thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Montysmum 

Long time no see. wink

That was a bit of a bummer with your data, although I wouldn't have thought it possible to use all that data overnight while your phone is sleeping as such. I often leave apps running when I go to bed and just seem to lose battery power not data.

Personally I would give customer services a call and see what they have to say. They may offer you some more data as a gesture of goodwill. Guide: How to find help & contact O2

They may also reset  your account. 

Best of luck anyway . thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 15

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Possible your phone may have downloaded a major update, and updated every app on it, and maybe been left streaming a film from Prime or Netflix?

8GB is a lot to have used while you were sleeping...

Customer services may help track down the cause. Good luck.
Message 3 of 15

Montysmum
  • 16 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks yet again to Cleoriff for your help in pointing me in the right direction. Have been in touch with Shabiba at customer services who was ever so helpful. turns out i had some app running in the background, so my fault really but she kindly reset my big bundle to start from today using the money i'd already paid as a bolt on, so still lost some but not as much as i thought i would have, i'll just have to be careful in the future. However since talking to Shabiba i have found on my phone (Galaxy A20E) a page which asks for permission to run apps in the background and they were all switched to on, so I wonder if this was the problem, anyway i've turned them all to off, don't know if i've done right thing but i guess i'll find out. Thanks again Cleoriff, no doubt i'll be in touch again soon with another problem.

Have a good weekend

Montysmum

Message 4 of 15

Montysmum
  • 16 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I never thought of that it could have been an update i suppose, not films or netflix though cos i only watch those on the telly. Problem resolved now though thanks to customer services. Thanks for your help 

Regards Montysmum

Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 143431 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Montysmum wrote:

Problem resolved now though thanks to customer services. Thanks for your help 

Regards Montysmum

In all honesty, they haven't solved your problem.

They've corrected your loss of data, but unless you find out where your data went, it could happen again.

Look in the phone settings to see your data usage by app to identify what exactly has managed to consume 8gb in a few hours !

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just correcting thread title!

@MontysmumPleased that CS were reasonably helpful.

You do need to keep an eye on data usage in future though...watch what you are using. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on next month.

It will be nice to hear from you again wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 143431 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just correcting thread title!

thumbsup

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@Montysmum You can set your phone to update your apps over WiFi only.
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/113412?hl=en

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 15

Montysmum
  • 16 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

thanks for your advice MI5, I'll certainly look into that

Message 10 of 15