cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation date on sim card packet - does it matter after inserting the sim?

rdk591
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, simple enough question. I'm aware that you need to make a chargable call every 6 months on o2 to keep your number, but does that have any relevance to the sim activation date on the sim card packet?

For example: I have a sim card that says: must activate by 1st February 2025.

1) If I insert this sim card into a phone (and get the welcome to o2 message) on the 1st June 2024, do I still need to top up by 1 December 2024 (6 months) or am I good until 1st February 2025?

2) If I insert the sim card into the phone on the 1st January 2025, do I only have a month to top up before it's deactivated, or do I get 6 months from the date I inserted the sim into the phone (i.e. until 1st July 2025).

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146908 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions

@rdk591 

6 months from activation and every 6 months from there.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 4

rdk591
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So in the above example:

1) Putting the sim card in the phone on 1st June 2024 will require a top up by 1st December 2024.
2) Putting the sim card in the phone 1st January 2025 will require a top up by 1st July 2025.

And the February 2025 'must activate by' date isn't relevant at all once you insert the sim and get the welcome to o2 message, correct?

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146908 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions

Correct @rdk591 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 4