Did you mean: 

0data calculation using email

longjohn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

If I have to go into my emails whilst out and use my PAYG data, how will this data be calculated?

To go into my email account, all of my emails, would have to load up, which would include say 100 in my inbox and plenty more in my folders.

So even if I just wanted to check one email, say after a covid test, I do not know if the data will be based on any emails that I open and read or the whole of my email account, which could be a lot.

can someone please clarify how this workd for me.

thank you

john

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@longjohn 

If you have already downloaded previous emails on WiFi, they won't be downloaded again as they are already there. 

Only new emails will be downloaded and how much initially depends on your settings.

You can select to download the entire email or just the headers until you actually open the email.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@longjohn 

If you have already downloaded previous emails on WiFi, they won't be downloaded again as they are already there. 

Only new emails will be downloaded and how much initially depends on your settings.

You can select to download the entire email or just the headers until you actually open the email.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

longjohn
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply.

how would I be able to select just the header until I open the email?

I have an iphone 6, if that makes a difference.

I use my email account on my pc, so don't usually have wifi on for my mobile, so would I have to download all the emails on my phone or does it count for when they are open on my pc. ( I guess the pc operation doesn't count).

My computer is ethernet connected to avoid the wifi due to health implications.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Settings >Mail >Preview and set to 1 line.
If you have IMAP settings it will only download anything new.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10170 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3011 Solutions
@longjohn

You will also use data every x minutes as the phone polls the email server roughly 100 -200KB per poll.

Also worth noting as well that an email header is approx 10KB and is not the content of the email, (an email header is actually the technical stuff that is included in email that you don't see as well as the plain text or encryption) What you want is the subject and sender and this is the preview.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 7

longjohn
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thank you very much

Message 6 of 7

longjohn
  • 7 Posts