cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why hasnt o2 brought in wifi calling ? And no i dont mean Tu Go (absolute terrible app) i want the androids built in version
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
O2 have stated never for WiFi calling and they will continue to develop tugo.
If you want WiFi calling you need to move networks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Never is a strong word i hope they change, why pay a developer to develop an app when they could just use the phones built in version
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Personally I hope they don't change or at least offer both.
I wouldn't be able to use my UK allowances when abroad or send texts with no signal otherwise.
Tugo is so much more than just work calling......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Miker
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just updated my iPhone to iOS 10.3 and now have wifi calling available!
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Well that's a nice surprise slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only positive about this Wifi/4G calling is that you get to see 'O2WiFiCall' on your iPhone, Apple Watch/macOS integration and you can seamlessly switch from Wifi to 4G while on call...

From what I read everything else is a negative against TUGo. I don't know if they did this on purpose so they can say "Ok we do have native WiFi calling you can shut up now!" but it is so limited.

• You can't have TUGo and WiFi/4G Calling on the same time, so you have to choose one or the other.
  • You can't use native WiFi calling abroad, even when you're on WiFi (but you can with TUGo, surprise!)
  • You can't receive any new Visual Voicemails if you have no network signal (but with TUGo you can)
  • No SMS or MMS without any network signal (TUGo does this!)

And it's not as if native WiFi calling is very restrictive that O2 can't do any of this...you can, EE does. AT&T in the US does, so it's very possible to implement all these features to native WiFi calling.

Stick with TUGo, guys - not worth it for now. But at the same time, we better push O2 to implement these features.

Message 7 of 7