cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall - Port Forwarding - CCTV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

I apologise if I am posting this onto the wrong forum - if I have, would the Mods please move this to the correct forum?

I have installed a CCTV system and have forwarded all the necessary ports in order for me to view the CCTV remotely but . . . . I cannot view the cameras on my O2 mobile under the Data Mode.

I can view the CCTV over the WiFi but when I switch to Data mode using my computer's external IP address, I keep getting trying to connect but no picture.

I have made sure that the port is open by using canyouseeme.org.

Do I need to create an exception or rule in the firewall settings?

I have been trying to access the cameras remotely for a week now and am stumped!

Any help or advice will be truly appreciated.

Message 1 of 34
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

there could have been a local issue.

now you have that app if it is bad you can report faults when you next are in an area with signal / wifi.

lets hope it all works for you now.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi SanjHere

I've moved this post to the 'Other Products and services' board slight_smile

Its an interesting question for sure. Does anyone have any advice?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 2 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Toby,

Thank you kindly.

I appreciate it.

Regards,

Sanj

Addition: I feel a bit more information might be useful:

I have viewed numerous videos regarding port forwarding and viewing remotely, making sure that I have followed all the steps correctly.

I have forwarded the Mobile Port which is required to view the CCTV remotely (Port 34599).  I can view the CCTV whilst using my house Wifi but when I switch to my Mobile Data plan I keep getting the message "trying to connect" but it does not generate the video.

I am using my Computer's external IP address and Port Number on the Phone App when trying to use my Mobile Data plan and the DVR IP address and port when using WiFi.

When I am using the WiFi, I can view the CCTV using the internal IP and External IP addresses! (I find this part very weird)

I have assigned the DVR to my home network.

The only thing I can think of now is maybe the Firewall settings of my O2 router need to be changed . . . . but I thought by doing the Port Forwarding this would by pass the Firewall? Has anyone had to change the Firewall settings to access their DVR's remotely? Or is this the bit I still need to do?

I do not want to start messing about with the Firewall settings if I can help it.

Message 3 of 34

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
not sure if this thread is relevant.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-3G-blocking-CCTV-DVR-apps-Any-work-around/td-...

I will be out and about again tomorrow with iPhone and iPad and see if i can access my cctv live feeds via o2 mobile 3g.

I know my wifi access works as just checked it from the pub before this reply but only get 2g data here so it would time out.

@toby can you ask the network team if this is a port/ data type blocking issue.
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Adam,

Thank you for replying.

I had not thought of the signal aspect. I suppose if the signal is not good where I am, I might not have enough bandwidth to support CCTV cameras.

I am out and about tomorrow as well so might hook onto a WiFi spot somewhere.

I do find it strange though that I can view via the external IP address even though I am on the home network.

Once again, thank you for replying
Message 5 of 34

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Adam,

Good idea, I'll see what I can find out.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 34

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I will upload a screen grab but can confirm over 3g I could watch the cctv live so should not be a cell network issue.

My setup isnot on o2 broadband . I use my own netgear router with upnp enabled and my swann cctv pvr is connected and works fine using the default ports it chose.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 34

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I am using my Computer's external IP address and Port Number on the Phone App when trying to use my Mobile Data plan and the DVR IP address and port when using WiFi.

When I am using the WiFi, I can view the CCTV using the internal IP and External IP addresses! (I find this part very weird)

I have assigned the DVR to my home network.

You should be connecting to the dvr ip not the pc or at least that is how my dvr cctv works.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 8 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Toby and Adam,

Thank you Adam for trying the connection out.

I tried the CCTV connection whilst I was out earlier through a Grocery Superstore WiFi signal and I was able to view the video on the CCTV! So, at least I know it works when I am out.

It appears that my mobile data signal is not good when I am at home. I will try the CCTV on my 3G/Mobile Data when I am out again later on.

Adam - Sorry I meant I have hooked the DVR onto my home network through the router and assigned it it's own IP address.

I have used the external IP address and port number when setting the app up on my mobile.

This has really frustrated me over the last week, I thought my settings were wrong or I needed to create and exception on the firewall.

Message 9 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just reporting back from the trial of viewing the CCTV over my data plan.

I got a good signal, in fact it had an H by the data icon, which I presume is HSDPA and that should be better than 3g(?).

I again got unable to connect to server . . . .

Why am I able to connect over WiFi but not the data mode?
Message 10 of 34