Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill shock - my experience

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

As you may or may not know, I recently borrowed a Community "Try the Tech" phone.  This all went swimmingly and the phone was returned.

I've just had my phone bill - despite the mobile data being turned off much of the time, sticking to wifi and monitoring it using the apps on the phone, my business phone bill has just come in... and the phone consumed 8GB in data.  Yes, you read that right.  Tune of £200 inc VAT for a bill that is normally about £50.

I've registered it as bill shock, namely because there was no warnings via text (which are offered to O2 customers abroad) that it was suddenly consuming data, nor do we have realtime spend abilities as a business account - what was worse for us was that the sim card was only activated for this trial (i.e. its a usually dormant SIM), so the fact it was suddenly in use should have triggered something at O2, in our opinion, in case it had been stolen or fraudulently picked up.  Had we known there was little to no data on the phone connection, we'd have even put a bolt on or two on there to sort it for the month.

It has left a bit of a sour feeling now about my own experience.  I'm awaiting to hear what the outcome is of our bill shock registration.

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 1 of 25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
Great to see this issue was resolved. As a side note the business data hard cap was removed in favor of per mb charging recently.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I thought you couldn't go over data allowance?
Message 2 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear this ruined your experience, have you spoken to @Tobyabout it I thought data allowance stopped after allowances are used

Message 3 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
I thought you couldn't go over data allowance?

correct.....on a Business tariff you shouldnt be able to exceed your data allowance.

Message 4 of 25

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Further to this... so this was all last week.

Just had a phone conversation to say:
"It's been cancelled - you shouldn't have been able to go over."

*PHEW!*

Now, time to renew my contract...!!!

Sony Xperia XZ
Message 5 of 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Talk is cheap. If you don't have that assurance in writing, you should make sure your account isn't being charged before you renew.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Most bizarre. If data allowance is exceeded it just stops. There is no way you can go over a data allowance.
Hopefully your account will be rectified to reflect the latest news you have been given.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 25

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Got a credit note - always good.
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 8 of 25

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
Great to see this issue was resolved. As a side note the business data hard cap was removed in favor of per mb charging recently.

Message 9 of 25

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@version7point0 wrote:
As a side note the business data hard cap was removed in favor of per mb charging recently.

Doesn't appear to have been communicated very well to customers?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 25