Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 820, WIndows Phone 8 and Bluetooth Concerns

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all.

Lets see if I can explain all of this.

Recently got a Nokia 820 running Windows Phone 8. Works brilliantly compared to higher spec models such as the 920 and HTC 8X, not been cutting out or anything. However there seems to be an issue with the Bluetooth system, not working correctly or missing something.

I have a built-in handsfree kit which when synced to any other phone, on any other operating system, will work perfectly. Dial numbers from the handsfree kit, recieve calls, read sms messages, voice dialling etc. When the other phone models recieve a call the name will appear on screen in the car, when you look in the phonebook for numbers, all numbers and names are shown on the screen.

Yet with any Windows phone 8 model, including the 820, 920 and HTC 8X, and 8S models, this doesn't occur. The names in the contacts list of the phone will not transfer over to the handsfree kit.

I've tried these phones in more than 1 car, and also tried with a separate, although still built into a car, parrot system as well, and the problem occurs there too. No matter what you do, no names will appear on the screens in car, and no sms will be read out via the bluetooth link into the cars speaker system.

Does anyone know any idea on when we are going to get an update to resolve this?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Does it make calls though?

There is a limited BT functionality built into WP8 as apparently it doesn't have the full profile. For some bizarre reason they've omitted things like the transfer protocol which stops you doing file transfers via BT. Which I suspect is probably why it can't see the names on the car system. I believe the iphone has a similar sort of crippled functionality with BT. 

As for SMS translating, not many systems have that so it may be limited anyway. 

BTW, on the off chance that is, have you named your phone with a long title? Sometimes a  name with more than 10 letters may be the root cause.

Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

when connected to the Bluetooth systems, you make calls, but as you cannot access the contacts some bluetooth systems are difficult. The astra we have is ok, as you can put numbers in, but that defeats the object of the contact list. You would need to know every single contact to do it. Due to work needs i have 327 numbers in my phone. Oddly all iPhones, windows phone 7, android phones work perfectly.

in the parrot system you can dial a number but its even more long winded. So without the data transfer of the contacts list it kind of cripples the use of the phone.

i haven't tried with a smaller name yet, so i will check that later.

Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well even with shorter name for Bluetooth device, and also switching on voice control etc it still doesn't provide contacts to the In-Car handsfree system.

Does anyone have any idea on any likely update to resolve this? I know a lot of people in America have had to return their phones due to it being a legal requirement for a working handsfree kit in their cars, and this is not possible yet.

Message 4 of 4