Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thailand

josh09
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i am going to thailand in march and want to be able to use data, call and text if i need to but for a cheap price. 

is there any bolt ons to enable me to have this?

josh

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123306 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @josh09

It depends what tariff you are on. Regardless of that you can apply for the O2 Travel Bolt on

O2 Travel is available on Pay Monthly. 120 minutes, 120 texts and data for £4.99 a day.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

f you've got a Pay Monthly sim, text O2TRAVELto 23336. .

It can take up to 24 hours for O2 Travel to be applied to your account.

*O2 Travel is only activated on the days you use it. If you turn data roaming off and use only Wifi you wont be charged

You best bet though is to use Wifi wherever you go in Thaliland....and remember to turn voicemail off.

One of our members @jonsie is from Thailand and he would advise buying a local sim as this works out much cheaper

NB Edited for spelling!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144884 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@josh09 you can have O2 travel for £4.99 a day but we understand it doesn't work very well for data.

Our usual advice is to use a local SIM card in an unlocked phone. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 123306 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @josh09

It depends what tariff you are on. Regardless of that you can apply for the O2 Travel Bolt on

O2 Travel is available on Pay Monthly. 120 minutes, 120 texts and data for £4.99 a day.

f you've got a Pay Monthly sim, text O2TRAVELto 23336. .

It can take up to 24 hours for O2 Travel to be applied to your account.

*O2 Travel is only activated on the days you use it. If you turn data roaming off and use only Wifi you wont be charged

You best bet though is to use Wifi wherever you go in Thaliland....and remember to turn voicemail off.

One of our members @jonsie is from Thailand and he would advise buying a local sim as this works out much cheaper

NB Edited for spelling!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

If you want to use data then don't rely on O2, it's pathetically slow. Make sure your phone is unlocked and get a local sim card

Either DTAC or True work equally well and give good 4G speeds. My advice is not to get the sim card but go to a main supplier which you will find in shopping centres. Any locals will gladly point you there. Both DTAC and True have dedicated tourist sims with posters showing various packages, weekly and monthly. You can even pick your own number.

Failing that, you can go to any 7-11 store which are in abundance, two or three on every soi.You can go P&G and top up there too if that's your choice. It all depends how long you are there for.

Good luck whatever you choose and enjoy this beautiful country smiling

Just a word of advice. Don't wear any expensive jewelry such as gold necklaces.

Message 4 of 5

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

I use DTAC on my visits to Thailand, as it is reliable, fast, and very cheap/easy to extend the validity to save the SIM card for another future trip. You will need your passport, an unlocked phone, and patience...

Personally, I take my O2 SIM, but put it in an old (unlocked) "candybar" phone with no access to data as O2 charge far too much, and as @jonsie mentions, they seem to throttle the speed. I leave the phone turned off, turning it on briefly once a day, to pick up texts, and see if the voicemail indicator is on - if I have a voicemail, I collect it by calling my UK number from the Thai number (much cheaper)

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 5 of 5