cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

security - log in detail.- Auto Delete on closure ?

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

My devices are set to turn off all passwords etc on closing. This means that everytime I wish to access every site I need to put in email address and  password. This is time consuming but as I understand it the safest way to stay secure.

Is there any updated advice on this. Or Is this the safest way?  There is a ESET nod virus checker on my devices which picks up a lot of stuff.      no one else shares my hardware.

What would my position be in relation to banks etc  if I stopped auto deleting every login box on closing down ?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144081 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
There's no value if you don't share your device with anyone else and all devices can be remotely wiped now too, so if it did get lost or stolen it can be made secure.
Ultimately though, it's whatever you are comfortable with.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144081 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
There's no value if you don't share your device with anyone else and all devices can be remotely wiped now too, so if it did get lost or stolen it can be made secure.
Ultimately though, it's whatever you are comfortable with.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Thanks again M15. At the mo all devices stay in house.
What I'm not up to speed with is 1) how passwords can be filched these days. and 2 ) remote access
At one time deleting passwords etc was the way to be secure. Banks seem to encourage this still, I believe . But maybe times have moved on.
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144081 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It's very difficult to skim passwords off phones.
The most common way is to tap into your wifi and intercept the data sent, but this means someone has to firstly hack your wifi and secondly be in range of your wifi to connect to it.
The advice to not use public wifi for secure banking or other sensitive applications applies strongly here.
Android devices can be wiped remotely which is explained here https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6160491?hl=en
Windows devices here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/mdm/deploy-use/wipe-lock-reset-devices
iOS devices here http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/05/remote-wipe-iphone-or-ipad/

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
OK thanks I guess I'm still in the dark ages as I was referring to (shh laptop). As you know I tried to delve into the world of tablet but didn't succeed. I'm toying with the idea of a smartphone next year but am very nervous as I have no mentor. But I will work on that.
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

You will be fine @Jenny105

Everyone has had a smartphone for the first time but you learn as you go along. Make sure you read the manual and we are always here to help 😁

I don't know your age and I'm too much of a gentleman to ask but I was 59 when I got my first real smartphone 📱 but every day is still a school day. 

I learned the basics myself and further education from the lads and lasses on the community. 

Message 6 of 7

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Thanks I'll remember that... When learning PC stuff there was a basic course to go on which set m up.
I'm looking for one locally for tablet and smart phone. My brain is incredibly pictorial so seeing rather than reading is the best for me. And I'll go for a smartphone in 2018 !
Message 7 of 7