cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your plan includes unlimited Wi-fi through BT wi-fi" - how does that work then?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

I have just received my welcome to O2 letter in the post, and on my tariff details, among the usual allowances, it says

"Your plan includes unlimited Wi-fi through BT wi-fi" 

I didn't know about this, can anyone explain what it's all about and how I go about using it? I assume it's those BT Openzone hotspots that I sometimes see on my phone, but how do you connect to them/register for the service?

Any help gratefully received!

Thansk slight_smile Martin

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Hmm let me check that it's been a long time since I had to do it.

Edit: apparently it's the open zone and some bt fon spots. You should see a blue landing page asking for  phone details.

edit again: apparently not all are compatable since this year.( no idea why:() 

use this page to check comparability in your area

http://hotspotdirectory.o2.co.uk/search.php

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Here you go:)

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/wifi.html

"Out and about: Get unlimited access to wifi at public hotspots across the UK with BT Openzone. This is all on top of the data allowance in your chosen package. You also have free access to O2 Wi-FI hotspots. To connect, tap on 'BT Openzone' or 'O2 wifi' when they appear in your wifi networks list. You’ll need to enter your mobile phone number when it asks you to, but only the first time you use it."

Just connect to the bt hotspot and enter your phone number:)

I presume this is a contract phone?

Hope this helps:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply Liquid.

There is a BTFON, a BTOpenzone and a BTWiFi within range at my flat... are these the public ones? Because when I select them I just get the "thinking" icon spinning next to the name but nothing happens... apart from the BTWiFi one - selecting that brings up a page that says Login with BT account, Login with Fon account, or Buy access...

Confuzzled!
Message 3 of 9

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Hmm let me check that it's been a long time since I had to do it.

Edit: apparently it's the open zone and some bt fon spots. You should see a blue landing page asking for  phone details.

edit again: apparently not all are compatable since this year.( no idea why:() 

use this page to check comparability in your area

http://hotspotdirectory.o2.co.uk/search.php

Message 4 of 9

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Try connecting to the bt openzone one ignore the spinning icon.

Once you see it's trying to load go to safari and try to go to google see if that redirects you to the landing page.
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a shame about some being incompatible, it's bound to be the ones that would be most useful!

Thanks for the information though..!

Message 6 of 9

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Did you have any luck? With the redirecting bit?

Someone may come along with the ultimate trick shortly if not:)
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I do that it does load web pages but through the 3G, with the little spinning thing next to the 3G icon. Never mind!
Message 8 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

if you see btfon at the same place as btwifi / btopenzone they are not included they are personal bt broadband customers routers and only available if you also have bt broadband and use you bt broadband account details.

Also the same if you see a business identifier in the ssid only the true bt-wifi / bt-openzone are included and show on the directory listed above

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 9