Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mobile hotspot dongle

Heather
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am having an issue where to change a communication preference, O2 have sent a 6 digit code to the number of the dongle.. this means I will never receive the code as the dongle is plugged in at another address (my father's) and it is to provide them with data only for using facetime and does not behave like a phone to receive messages etc.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You could try calling O2 on 202 otherwise you'll have to retrieve the code by logging into the dongles console on the pc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Heather
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thankyou for your response but can you tell me what the dongle 'console' is please?  I have no idea  how to do that?  Do you mean logging in to another IP address?   I live in Australia an already spent quite a bit of time calling the customer services in the UK but still  having a few issues with this.  I wanted to set up elderly relatives to use portable wifi to facetime once a week but its turning into a very complicated and frustrating exercise as they do not have UK mobile phones and therefore all codes etc are going through my sister in law... with the time difference it is very hard to get it all sorted 😞

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Assuming the dongle is in a pc or laptop you need to enter the ip address of the dongle into your browser.
Normally, this will be 192.168.1.1
It will ask for a username and password, which by default are set to "admin" for both.
Once logged in you can see the control console with options for various settings and also to read any text messages received.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Heather, and welcome to the forum Wave Did you try following @MI5's suggestion above, and if so how are you getting on with this now? Any progress? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 9

Heather
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The dongle (wingle) is not plugged into a PC, nor a laptop.  He is 86 years old and does not own anything other than the iPad we purchased for them to use FaceTime. 

I hoped that with portable wi-fi we could find an easy way for them to do this each week.  Unfortunately the whole experience has been very difficult and complex and I am not sure that it is going to be successful.

It is too complicated to explain on here but basically, because I live overseas (and will be paying for this), I am not able to be the account holder, only the email owner.... you can see where this is going!   Security codes are being sent to the dongle and despite lengthy conversations from Sydney to England, I am frustrated and resigned to the fact that we may not be able to achieve this means of communication with the elderly family back home 😞

Message 6 of 9

Heather
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thankyou Emilie, but no progress 😞

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Indeed, it would appear to be an impossible task to change the communication preferences, but this should not stop the dongle from being usable.
@EmilieT can you assist at all?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Heather, I'm not sure how much we can do from our end but I'd very happily check, I'll send you a Private Message to get some more information first slight_smile

@MI5 If we find a way we'll let you guys know as it might be useful in the future! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 9