cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mail server failure - last 36 hours

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having been with o2 for many years - the email is usually excellent - however for the last 36 hours the mail servers have been failing - I am sure I am not the only experiencing problems - I can not find any notice of problems on the o2 website - can anyone advise what's going wrong and how long this will last - according to analysis - connecting to the server takes a long time but is eventually established - however after that, the smtp connection just stalls and fails = outgoing mail server problems.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I called tech support last night and the entire outgoing mail server has failed. They've been working on it, but there was no estimate on when it would be back up. Clearly it's been down for over a day...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I called tech support last night and the entire outgoing mail server has failed. They've been working on it, but there was no estimate on when it would be back up. Clearly it's been down for over a day...

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same problem -its a nightmare for me as I rely on this service to carry out my work

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm impressed they gave you an honest answer - that's really good.

When things go wrong it's always a temptation to go changing all the settings and mess around with ports and passwords etc which often sends me crazy since everything worked just fine for year after a year 'as was' - but one ends up doubting oneself : )

An issue like this really should be splashed all over the sign in page - just so we all know not to waste our time.

Thanks for the info Nora

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have the same problem for last 24 hrs hope it's soon corrected.

O2 should post a service failuure then we would all be aware of the problem and not mess about trying to sort it out.

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found a service status page for broadband - but not for mail servers - and you're right - it would be great if o2 set up a webpage on their site, dedicated to mail server status.

Then when things go wrong - we'd all know the reason

Message 6 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
18/04/2013

06:05
Outgoing Email issues ( SMTP Server )

We seem to have an issue with the SMTP Server which means customers are unable to send emails form any client. Emails are working fine from our webmail portal.

We are working on a resolution to get this fixed. We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
Ongoing

On the broadband status pages http://broadband.o2.co.uk/broadbandstatus/view/ network status tab

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good but it was not there yesterday when I was searching and it seems others have had this problem for a week in some cases - but still - glad it's there now for people.

As a note - if one uses the 02 search facility for - smtp server status - that page you kindly linked for us here, does not appear in the results - at least it did not when I tried just now.

Maybe someone at o2 can sort that out in time for any future issues or people searching today - not everyone is going to read this thread . . .

I just tested my email again and it took 10 minutes to get an email sent and then another 4 or 5 minutes to receive - so that's better than nothing.

Message 8 of 12

Lorenzo
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks to these boards I found this out last night but rather assumed all would be resolved by this morning. My 'frustration' was not helped when speaking with Customer Support/Technical whereupon I had to tell THEM there was an issue! Naturally they refused to believe me and wanted to take me through any manner of steps to resolve my inability to send emails when finally they went away and checked....to confirm the fault. However, "treating it as a matter of urgency" rings a little hollow after such a long time down and I would have preferred something more specific!
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that link.I've been having the same annoying problem for the last 36 hours as well.As usual with o2 they never admit there is a fault.Something they learnt from Rolls Royce no doubt! Not impressed with the lack of readily available information,hopefully it will improve when Sky take over at the end of the year.

Message 10 of 12