Did you mean: 

iPhone purchase from contract upgrade

N0_Klu3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all.

So I see O2 doesn't lock their phones anymore. I'm looking at getting an iPhone from eBay that was a guys contract upgrade.

I'm just a bit worried about getting it if he cancels his contact or something. Will O2 lock the phone? Can they still do that?
Also let's say it all goes well what happens at the end of his contract. Will the phone just keep working? If I sold it in a year would anything need to be unlocked?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23040 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

@N0_Klu3 Please take a look at this link: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

Buying a phone on eBay is always risky. Your choice.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122772 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Hi @N0_Klu3 

Yes O2 will bar the phone if he stops paying his contract. They will also bar it if he reports it lost or stolen as part of an insurance scam. Actually he should NOT be selling it if he is still in contract. If he has settled his contract then that's a different matter.

Actually we never recommend buying phones from Ebay at all. There have been so many complaints with purchases going badly wrong.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

N0_Klu3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Damn I did worry about this.

Thanks for the reply
Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122772 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I honestly would recommend you go elsewhere. CEX have decent phones for sale and they do give a warranty depending on the age of the phone.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

In answer to your question though, once a phone is unlocked, it would always remain unlocked unless reported lost or stolen. Buying from eBay is a lottery. Personally, a phone is the last thing I would ever buy from there.

Message 6 of 6