cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't top up o2 sim (in dual sim 'phone)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks in advance for any help. I bought a O2 payg sim yesterday to go in a Lumia 640 as a backup 2nd sim. I can't top the sim up. The website gives an error 500 (internal server error) and 4444 fails telling me to try an O2 shop - nearest is ~30 miles away. I've spent hours with O2 gurus resetting passwords, clicking on verification emails for the registration account and all looksok with that. Last attempt tonight was to ring the the complaint landline. 11 minutes later the bloke that answered suggested that payg O2 sims don't work in dual sim 'phones. When I asked how the sim knew it was in a dual sim 'phone he said he'd go and check, put on the Musak and for reasons unknown the call was killed a minute later. I only wanted an O2 sim because I was told there was a free app to use the broadband for calls if the cell signal was absent - very rural round here, so that happens a lot. Oh, I've tried 3 browsers and several valid credit cards so I think it's O2 not me. Any ideas welcome - I don't want another hour long live chat as my brain has exploded! TIA.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

It just died. I was browsing BBC news when the screen went blank and it wouldn't boot. The notification LED was flashing occasionally so I tried connecting it to a PC to get the data off it, but no joy. The Marshmallow update had already taken out the camera, so the quick option was a new phone.

Message 11 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Okay. Thanks. I bought mine used well over a year ago, and it hasn't given me any problems (touch wood). The Marshmallow upgrade and further updates haven't caused any glitches. In fact they've improved the battery life, which was really my only concern. Sorry to hear yours just packed up. Hope you enjoy your new phone.:smileyhappy:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

To wind this up for future generations: Three inTouch appears not to have an app for Windows, so that's out. I've kept the O2 sim as backup and (in case anyone's worried about risking GBP 10) the voucher as first top up works. But I think they should rename O2 Gurus O2 Grunts and employ the community instead.

Message 13 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 14 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We've often said the same wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

O2 Grunts...??LOL Love it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

(in case anyone's worried about risking GBP 10) the voucher as first top up works. 

O2 are actually adamant that this is not needed but we see it time and again as the only way to do it the first time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 22

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 18 of 22

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

(in case anyone's worried about risking GBP 10) the voucher as first top up works. 

O2 are actually adamant that this is not needed but we see it time and again as the only way to do it the first time.

Which is why I always suggest a voucher for first top up.....

Message 19 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We all do - but Toby checked and said it wasn't required.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 22