cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would You Accept Adverts In Return For Free Extra Data?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Telefonica are in early talks which may lead to a unique offer in the uk. If you got to the end of your data allowance would you accept adverts in return for some extra free data?

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1336375/o2-parent-telefonica-trials-brand-sponsored-data-...
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Not a chance! We are continually bombarded with advertisements as it is, be it adverts on tv, google, every flaming web site we visit, hoardings everywhere we walk or drive, on the buses, subliminal advertising during tv programmes, football match hoardings. Good God the list is endless....

And it's only going to get worse.  Given that in 2 or 3 years we'll be bombarded to saturation point anyway, you could argue that we might as well take the free data rather than have nothing in return.

But then it'll probably be useless for the likes of me, if they implement it by using some stupid web page redirection thing that replaces the page you request with a modified version that contains advertising, which I suspect they might.  Most of the time I'm using data, I'm not actually sitting in front of a web browser to click past such rubbish.

Then, of course, after another couple of years, they'll change it so that you have the adverts PLUS pay for the extra data.  So ALL mobile data will be advert funded as well as paid for.

Think it won't happen?  I remember thinking the same thing 20 years ago when Sky started charging for channels that carried adverts.

Message 11 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
No way on earth.
Especially with a data provider who seems to misquote data usage expiry so commonly now
Message 12 of 12