Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Other Products and Services

Anonymous

Windows 7, MF100 on PAYG. 3G and openzone issues

Hello there.
I have bought an MF100 mobile broadband dongle on Pay & Go, which i am using on a Windows 7 laptop and i am currently experiencing some major problems.
I have a background in IT and have tried nearly every trick in the book to overcome these problems from my side, but to no avail.

Firstly, i am currently in London in the SE19 area, this area is, or should be according to every resource i have found saturated with 3G and HSDPA coverage, i am in a building but am unable to get a 3G or HSDPA signal with my dongle when i am next to a window, or even holding it outside! The best the dongle can get is GPRS which can i get excellent signal on next to the windows, but it is still just too slow, any idea why i can not get a better type of signal in this area of London?

Secondly, my dongle has found a BT Openzone hotspot (Cafe Nero, Crystal Palace) nearby which i can get excellent to very good signal to, from next to any of the windows. The dongle recognizes it as an 'O2 UK Wi-Fi (BTOpenzone)' hotspot, but when i connect the dongle comes up with a message saying it could connect to the hotspot but not the internet and the browser pops up with a BT FON page, where i need a username and password or pay extra money to gain access to the internet, no option for an O2 mobile broadband number or anything.

Now i do realize there are several different BT Hotspots in England, but surely if the dongle recognizes it as a regular BT Openzone hotspot, why does it pop up with a BT Fon page when i try to gain access to the internet? There is a BT FON hotspot nearby too which when i connect to it and try to gain access to the internet it gives me the same problem, but i expect that from someone which the dongle clearly labelled as a BT FON hotspot.

Please advise on these issues, in particularly why i can not gain access to the internet on the BT openzone hotspot.
Many thanks
Quil
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

the openzone issue is the same for iphone users untill you try to login it says btopenzone but it is either a bt business broadband one or a bt fon one.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

Ok i see, so i take it that means i will not be able to use the BT openzone hotspot i previously talked about?
Also any ideas/advice regarding my 3G problem?
Cheers
Quil
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

as o2 only say coverage is on street and not in building on the webmap not much I can say about your specific location as I am just a customer like you.

O2 has a hotspot checker that you can put your postcode in and it will list all hotspots you can use.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services