Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi on London Underground problems

Tubemole1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I recently upgraded from my very reliable Samsung S7 which I had for 5 years with few issues to a Samsung A71s which I am struggling with. I put my old SIM in the new phone, don't know if that makes a difference. The biggest problem is wifi on the Tube. I work on tube stations and rely of the wifi. On my old device it would connect to Virgin Media no problem. This phone wanted to connect to Wifi Extra and one of my stations, Turnham Green. After a lot of swearing, it worked. Today I am working at Chiswick Park. The phone will not connect to Wifi Extra. I have had a live chat with someone at o2 and they say I have to connect to Virgin media, but it won't connect there either. The webpage tells me to follow instructions from a text message that hasn't come. I have gone to settings etc, it hasn't worked. The live chat person also said I needed to register the device for o2 wifi. I have tried using the wifi app but it just doesn't launch. Crasshes everytime I attempt to open it. I lost my patience and deleted it. she said delete all the cookies but it didn't help. I've tried doing it on the webpage but I cannot find where to register the device. She said the wifi at Chiswick Park is working. I can find the hotspot on the webpage but not how to connect to it. I am tearing my hair out now. O2 live chat have not been at all helpful. My data has all gone and I've had to bolt on another 100mb to use for the next two days. I would have kept my old S7 except the charging port was broken. Can anyone help?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 2 of 12

Tubemole1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have been to both links. I cannot connect through settings, won't let me. Live chat says no problems with wifi here. I have tried to contact customer services but the automated voice told me that unless it's an emergency (which it isn't, in my view) they don't want to talk to me and cut the call.
Message 3 of 12

Tubemole1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have just shut down the phone, and re-started. Still won't connect to wifi, at all.
Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Tubemole1 

Advice from an O2 Guru regarding a way to get through:

If you call 202, when it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.

Press 2 for Everything Else

Press 5 for More Options

Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.

Also, press Fraud or Lost and Stolen if given that option.

O2 call staff are still limited so try anything to get through. As for it being important...it IS important to you and that's all that matters. Ask them to delete your wifi account, wait 24 hours then re register with O2 wifi and then with London Underground wifi again 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

Tubemole1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Since I last posted on the 6th September an agent at customer services promised to call me back after 2 hours to advise what is going wrong, but from then to now I have heard nothing. I got a message on WhatsApp from a colleague saying Wifi Extra isn't working at the following stations: West Kensington, Barons Court, Ravenscourt Park. So it's not just my station. If I try and connect to Wifi Extra, it won't let me. It says, "Couldn't authenticate connection". I cannot connect to Virgin Media because it promises to send me a text with instructions on how to connect but this text message has never arrived. I am absolutely fed-up now. I think Wifi Extra is ****, and I cannot use my phone at work without bleeding my data allowance. Cheers, O2.
Message 6 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Korey01 

Any help here for @Tubemole1 ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 12

Korey01
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks @MI5 @Tubemole1 i will PM you so we can go through some more information.
signature
Message 8 of 12

marrosi
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi. I am having the same exactly problem. replaced my Sansung S7 for a new Galaxy note and since then I cant connect using Virgin Wifi. Had been to many o2 shop and said to connect to any O2 wifi and wait 24 hours.. It has been days. Costumer service on call didin't sort it also.  Ridiculous
Message 9 of 12

marrosi
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi. I am having the same exactly problem. replaced my Sansung S7 for a new Galaxy note and since then I cant connect using Virgin Wifi. Had been to many o2 shop and said to connect to any O2 wifi and wait 24 hours.. It has been days. Costumer service on call didin't sort it also.  Ridiculous
Message 10 of 12