cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling on phone purchased externally from O2?

jpmelliott
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Recently moved house and have absolutely no signal on any frequency - I am currently using a Sony Xperia Z5 Compact (original contract expired, now using device on Sim Only plan) which whilst it supports WiFi Calling as standard, O2 don't support the device for Wifi Calling (other networks do which is an extra bummer!)

Wanting to upgrade to a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact which I am going to buy from another retailer unlocked. But before I do, I want to ensure that as it is on O2's list (https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling#sony-setup) of supported devices, when I put my sim card in Wifi Calling can be configured even though I haven't bought it direct from O2 themselves? 

TIA

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

According to this @jpmelliott you need O2 firmware.

If you are using a Sony XZ Premium, XZ1 or XZ1 Compact, to get Wifi and 4G Calling, your device will need to use O2 firmware. This is essentially the software that makes your device turn on and run. Sometimes there are different versions of firmware for the same device. Your device should use O2 firmware if you bought it direct from us in an O2 shop, online or over the phone. 

To check if your Sony is running O2 firmware:

Open the ‘Chrome’ app and tap the Home icon in the top left corner. If this takes you to www.o2.co.uk then your device has O2 firmware. If it takes you to Google, then Wifi and 4G Calling isn’t supported on your phone right now.

If you have changed the homepage in Chrome since buying your device, tap the three dots in the top right corner of Chrome, tap Settings, tap homepage, tap to edit the homepage and then press ‘Reset’. If it resets to www.o2.co.uk, then your device has O2 firmware. If it resets to Google, then Wifi and 4G Calling isn’t supported on your phone right now.

If you need more info, contact us

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

According to this @jpmelliott you need O2 firmware.

If you are using a Sony XZ Premium, XZ1 or XZ1 Compact, to get Wifi and 4G Calling, your device will need to use O2 firmware. This is essentially the software that makes your device turn on and run. Sometimes there are different versions of firmware for the same device. Your device should use O2 firmware if you bought it direct from us in an O2 shop, online or over the phone. 

To check if your Sony is running O2 firmware:

Open the ‘Chrome’ app and tap the Home icon in the top left corner. If this takes you to www.o2.co.uk then your device has O2 firmware. If it takes you to Google, then Wifi and 4G Calling isn’t supported on your phone right now.

If you have changed the homepage in Chrome since buying your device, tap the three dots in the top right corner of Chrome, tap Settings, tap homepage, tap to edit the homepage and then press ‘Reset’. If it resets to www.o2.co.uk, then your device has O2 firmware. If it resets to Google, then Wifi and 4G Calling isn’t supported on your phone right now.

If you need more info, contact us

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

jpmelliott
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks @MI5 - I have seen some of your previous posts on here on similar topics but wondered I'd you knew the current stance on the availability of this firmware and whether it can be loaded onto a device manually if the device isn't bought from O2?
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I have done it in the past but we are no longer allowed to talk about it on here.
All I can advise is that you search on XDA forums.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Surely the way forward is to change to a network that provides signal or wifi calling? You shouldn't have to be worrying about flashing firmware?

Message 5 of 7

jpmelliott
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5 thanks!

@jonsie it's very much looking that way, I have a sim only contract until May and begrudge the high exit fee even though it feels unfair that I have no service and WiFi calling isn't enabled on my device, but is for other networks.
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

So around halfway through your contract and I appreciate 5-6 months exit fee can be brutal this time of year. As you say, putting O2 firmware on the phone is one answer as long as you or someone you know has experience to do that or you are comfortable doing it yourself. Six months with no signal isnt acceptable to be honest so you need to do something to save your sanity.

Message 7 of 7