Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and 4G Calling with recent Huawei phones

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Has anyone tried to use WiFi or 4G Calling with any recent Huawei phones? If yes, does it require O2 firmware? or does Huawei provide carrier-branded firmware anyway?

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@MI5

I have seen new comment on xda saying that Huawei is not showing the VoLTE toggle on Three UK and quietly make calls over 4G. However, Three only enables VoLTE on 800MHz and hence difficult to test and may still drop to 3G. When I look at the files of the firmware on my phone, looks like it is going to happen on O2 as well. Really no idea whether my phone has failed to register on O2 VoLTE network or not attempting to register at all, or O2 has not enabled VoLTE on Huawei phones based on the user agent presented by the device in the SIP header during the IMS registration.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75281269&postcount=13

Message 21 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@MI5

VoLTE and VoWiFi support on Huawei devices are not specified on O2's website but users on xda reported it working with mate 10 pro. I don't know why it does not work on my mate 10.

Message 22 of 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Maybe those customers are lying?
You shouldn't believe everything you read wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@MI5

I think their answers are reasonable because I do see that Huawei does put O2's configuration files about VoWiFi and VoLTE in their firmware. I see similar configuration files for Three and both hiding the switch and users reporting that there are no switch to turn on VoLTE on Three and the phone will just try to make calls on it.

Message 24 of 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Well, watch this space, as they say slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you made any progress with this @evantkh ? 

I have a Huawei phone on 3 that is similarly struggling with Volte - fine for VoWifi. How did you access the config file location? Dialling *#*#6130#*#*  gives me sim status with regard to both, but not the config file Every time I make a call on 4g the carrier icon drops to H+ and there is still no volte switch.

Message 26 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Huawei phone on 3 that is similarly struggling with Volte - fine for VoWifi. How did you access the config file location? Dialling *#*#6130#*#*  gives me sim status with regard to both, but not the config file Every time I make a call on 4g the carrier icon drops to H+ and there is still no volte switch.

@Anonymous

Unfortunately no. I am not on O2 anymore but I have a Three SIM without credit dialing a random number gets dropped to 3G. My device(ALP-AL00) does not have VoWiFi to test, what model are you using?

The config file is immutable. It is placed somewhere(/system/priv-apps/CarrierConfig) in the firmware inside the apk.

Message 27 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

For information, my device does show the VoLTE switch when a mainland China SIM or Hong Kong SIM is inserted.

Message 28 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@evantkh wrote:

Unfortunately no. I am not on O2 anymore but I have a Three SIM without credit dialing a random number gets dropped to 3G. My device(ALP-AL00) does not have VoWiFi to test, what model are you using?

The config file is immutable. It is placed somewhere(/system/priv-apps/CarrierConfig) in the firmware inside the apk.

For information, my device does show the VoLTE switch when a mainland China SIM or Hong Kong SIM is inserted.

Thanks @evantkh I have CLT-L29 unlocked with a VoWifi switch showing with an active 3 Paym sim. Wifi calling works too.  But no Vowifi switch with an active O2 paym Sim. So I assume incorrect config file. No Volte switch with either.

Speaking of config files is there a way to view this file location (/system/priv-apps/CarrierConfig) without rooting? 

Message 29 of 42

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@evantkh wrote:

Thanks @evantkh I have CLT-L29 unlocked with a VoWifi switch showing with an active 3 Paym sim. Wifi calling works too.  But no Vowifi switch with an active O2 paym Sim. So I assume incorrect config file. No Volte switch with either.

Speaking of config files is there a way to view this file location (/system/priv-apps/CarrierConfig) without rooting? 

Which region is the phone coming from? What firmware is the phone is using? You can check this in Settings. The content inside the bracket of the version number.

I made a mistake with the path. It should be /system/priv-app/CarrierConfig/. There is no "s" with "priv-app". You don't need root permission to read the file but cannot write to it.

Message 30 of 42