Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi/4G calling - HTC U11

Stuart_Hodgson
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I am trying to set up my HTC U11 for wi-fi/4G calling and am having some issues - wonder if anyone can help?

I have activated the wi-fi/4G calling via 'My O2', which shows as completed successfully.  However, when I go into my telephone (HTC U11) following the steps in the guide but I cannot see any options which allow me to select either method.  Does anyone have any idea how I can activate it on the telephone?

In addition, I assume that coverage is now nationwide using any normal wi-fi/4G signal?

Many thanks,

Stuart

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stuart_Hodgson
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I did solve it (sort of)... Apparently if you didn't buy the phone direct from O2 (i.e. Carphone Warehouse etc..) then you can't use WiFi calling as the phone doesn't have the correct firmware.

Whilst an iPhone or some Samsung's are able to have the firmware updated, apparently this cannot be undertaken with HTC phones.

I did have a reasonable conversation with the online helpdesk but still not have had chance to lodge a complaint (either with Carphone Warehouse or O2) as the fact there are differences in firmware if you don't buy it direct is not anywhere within any terms and conditions or notified when you buy it...

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Some generic help here https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling
Have you waited 24 hours and rebooted your phone since activating wifi calling?
WiFi calling is anywhere when connected to wifi but 4g calling is still only in specific areas.

htc.PNG

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Stuart_Hodgson
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks, have tried both rebooting and those steps for the U11 😕 But to no avail.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The only other thing I can think of is that you may be on the wrong data bolt on.
Call customer services on 202 and check that you are on Standard data for Android.
PS. You are on a monthly contract and not PAYG ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont you have to have the correct O2 firmware?

I know it says Sony but the HTC section refers to Sony as the way to check. In any case you can only enable wifi & 4g calling.  In order for wifi call to be used the network signal must be close to non existent.  You can test by putting the phone in airplane mode and renabling wifi You should see a wifi calling icon.  4g calling is completly automatic, as it depends on the strength of the 4g signal. It makes the call clearer and data speed whilst on a call faster.

Your device’s firmware is essentially the software that makes it turn on and run. Sometimes there are different versions of firmware for the same device. To check if Sony is running O2 firmware:

• Open Settings > Support > Software Information - Tools/Diagnostics
  • Choose the FACTS tab and scroll down to the SOFTWARE section where Customisation is displayed. 
  • Check the CDA value. If this doesn't include the numbers 1308-5293 then we're sorry, Wifi and 4G Calling isn't supported on your phone right now. We're working on it for later in the year and we'll be in touch when it's ready. If you need more info, contact us or O2 Business customer services.

Message 5 of 7

chester123
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi stuart, did you solve the problem? i have exatly the same issue...

Message 6 of 7

Stuart_Hodgson
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I did solve it (sort of)... Apparently if you didn't buy the phone direct from O2 (i.e. Carphone Warehouse etc..) then you can't use WiFi calling as the phone doesn't have the correct firmware.

Whilst an iPhone or some Samsung's are able to have the firmware updated, apparently this cannot be undertaken with HTC phones.

I did have a reasonable conversation with the online helpdesk but still not have had chance to lodge a complaint (either with Carphone Warehouse or O2) as the fact there are differences in firmware if you don't buy it direct is not anywhere within any terms and conditions or notified when you buy it...

Message 7 of 7