Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow 4G connection

Geo1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have a good signal (all bars filled) but 4G speed is just around 1 Mbps. Is this a network issue? Support chat is useless - they suggested to go find a wifi hotspot. Anyone experience such a poor 4G speed in the area with strong signal?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Geo1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

There is apparently a service oversubscribtion in my area: 4G speed is wobbling around 1 Mbps during a day, and jumps to 15 Mbps after midnight.

I submitted my complaint to OFCOM and invite everyone who experiences the same issue to feel their monitoring form: https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Do not suffer in silence !

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Geo1 

Check here for faults O2 Service Status

and some help here Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Geo1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @MI5, appreciate your reply and useful links!

Service status page tells the following for my location:

There are more people than usual in this area right now, making our network a little busier.

If you find your data is slower than normal, this could be the reason. We’re sorry. Our top tips for staying connected would be to find local Wifi hotspots and download whatever content you need whilst connected to Wifi, so you can still enjoy it on the move.

This points to a service oversubscription rather than any technical issues.

@MI5 , do you know if O2 monitors such network capacity bottlenecks and allocates more resources to those areas reasonably quickly? I have only 13 days of my cooldown period left to avoid being trapped in my quite expensive "unlimited" contract.

Thanks

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Geo1 

In my experience it's unlikely to get better in the short term, so I'd check other networks and get out whilst you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

Geo1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

There is apparently a service oversubscribtion in my area: 4G speed is wobbling around 1 Mbps during a day, and jumps to 15 Mbps after midnight.

I submitted my complaint to OFCOM and invite everyone who experiences the same issue to feel their monitoring form: https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Do not suffer in silence !

Message 5 of 5