Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking code for my phone

Ambertime
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been having terrible trouble trying to get an unlocking code from O2. I talked to chat over 2 weeks ago & they said it would be emailed to me within 7 days. It has not come. I went online & entered my details on a form specially for requesting unlocking codes & haven't got any joy there either. I went on chat tonight & spoke to an operator I was on the line for ages. I got an answer which said that my unlocking code had been refused, I have had no correspondence to say that or why this was the case! He then said that I was in the wrong place to get an unlocking code & that I should contact Amazon who I bought my phone from. I said that I had never heard that before I was always told that the unlocking code should come from O2 which is who my phone was locked to & who I have paid for 24 months.

Can someone help me please? If my contract is with O2 ar'nt they the people who should give me my unlocking code?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If this is a Fire phone you've got no chance.
Neither o2 nor amazon can unlock them so a dodgy market stall is your only hope.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Ambertime Hi, did you manage to unlock your phone in the end or are you still having problems with it?

Message 3 of 5

Ambertime
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No I haven't been able to unlock my phone. I did however find an unlocking code on the O2 website by entering my mobile phone number. I'm very surprised at this as O2 have constantly said that they didn't have it!

i tried a three sim but the screen to unlock didn't come up as per instructions online. So I tried a GiffGaff sim and this worked with no unlocking required, which I now know is because  they are affiliated to O2.

I then activated the GiffGaff sim and put credit on it and it worked fine until the date of my number transfer which was the 13th, it then stopped altogether.  I know it can take a few hours of downtime on the transfer date but it should be working by now. I have a query going though with GiffGaff as we speak.

is there anyone who can help me I'm tearing my hair out and my BP which is usually ok is very high with the stress of all this?

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

The code you found was a PUK which unblocks your sim, not an unlocking code to release network locks.
If you didn't get asked for an unlock code with the Three sim, the chances are that the phone isn't locked anyway.
Unfortunately a giffgaff agent will have to assist you with your number transfer.

PS. Make sure you reboot your phone after the transfer has started to help reconnection to the network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5