cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card.

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

Note: please refer to an updated version of this guide in our How-to Guides section, here. Smiley Happy

If you want to use your O2 contract or PAYG phone with a SIM from another network, ie a local SIM when on holiday, you will need to release the network lock.

If you have a monthly contract it is free to get your phone unlocked.

Any phone can be unlocked (with the exception of the iPhone immediately after launch - see website for details of when these can be unlocked).

All you need to do is submit this form https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form taking care to enter the correct details. Pay attention in particular to the security question as this is the most common cause of failure.

PAYG phones need to have been on the network for at least 12 months (iPhone is the exception here again which is anytime subject to the above restriction for new models).

There is a £15 unlocking fee on PAYG and the phone needs to be registered on the O2 network, so, if you have just purchased a phone off eBay for example, insert a PAYG SIM and top up £20. Make a few calls to register the phone and ensure you have at least £15 credit remaining then fill out the form as above https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Business users can also submit the form for a free unlock.

Once the form is submitted it can take upto 28 days to receive the unlock code but it is usually much quicker - Typically within 7 days.

You will receive the code with instructions on how to complete the process with your specific handset, but in general, you insert a non O2 SIM card and enter the code when prompted.

Note: Unlocking the phone does not relieve you of any contractual obligations. You still need to complete your minimum term as agreed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92

GAT
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 30 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks jonsie, but what link in My O2? It doesn't seem to exist in my account - because air time is cancelled possibly?

Message 71 of 93

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

OK the just fill in the online form with the IMEI of the phone to be unlocked and the number you used it with. How long since the airtime was ended? 

Still no need to hook up with iTunes though. 

Message 72 of 93

GAT
  • 30 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks again jonsie, around 25 days since the airtime was cancelled.

Message 73 of 93

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

That should be fine, the sim should still be associated with the IMEI on O2's systems.

Message 74 of 93

GAT
  • 30 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Trouble is the sim was not activated/registered before the airtime was cancelled.

So, looks like will need to get an O2 PAYG sim, activate the IMEI with this & then request the unlock code? For a one-off £15 charge.

Message 75 of 93

MI5
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes you will - it won't work if the phone was never on the network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 76 of 93

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 77 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jonsie! I am on pay monthly contract . Recently I bought an Iphone 6s locked on O2. I also bought a pay and go sim card to use it with the Iphone and added to my account. I had also top up with 10£ (already taken for a bundle after top up). Will this work to unlock my iPhone? Or do I still need the 15£ top up? regards!

Message 78 of 93

MI5
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
No, you need £15 actual physical credit which O2 will take off your account to pay for the unlock, but you must use the phone with the sim card for it to register too.

Currently using:
Message 79 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just bought an iPhone 6s as a present but it's locked to o2. If I buy a new sim, top up £20, do a few calls then ask for an unlock , this will definitely work?
Message 80 of 93