Did you mean: 

Underground WiFi

jbusto94
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Team,

I have an O2 account (I'm logged in now) but my phone number is on a sky network. I understood that anyone who has an O2 account can access underground wifi through the Virgin Media service that works with O2? Whenever I select O2 on this virgin media platform and enter my number, I get an error message that says I'm not registered with O2. Is this a problem many people are having?

Thanks,

Julia

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143419 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Depending on where you are in the underground, some hotspots are free for everyone but others are wifi extra sites which are only for O2 customers.
Best way to sort it is to register for wifi in somewhere like McDonalds first, then your phone will auto connect to all free O2 hotspots from there onwards.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143419 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Depending on where you are in the underground, some hotspots are free for everyone but others are wifi extra sites which are only for O2 customers.
Best way to sort it is to register for wifi in somewhere like McDonalds first, then your phone will auto connect to all free O2 hotspots from there onwards.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/other-products-and-services/o2-wifi-london-underground-terms... says 6. In order to use the service, you must be an existing O2 mobile customer so if on sky mobile it will not work 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

You get free WiFi on Tube (stations) with the four major network operators ** as well as Virgin Media (Broadband, Telephony(Fixed+Cellular) & TV) who do the cabling. Virgin Mobile is the only MVNO*** who offers it for free - I guess the others at the cheaper end of the market may opt for it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. BT Mobile & Sky Mobile are also MVNO's (Of EE & O2) but are also Virgin Media's two main competitors, so I can't see either offering it any time soon (BT) or ever (Sky)

** have there own masts. 

*** Mobile Virtual Network Operators - don't have their own masts and buy access in bulk from network operators.

Message 4 of 9

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @jbusto94, and welcome to the forum slight_smile Did the info above help you access WiFi underground better? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 9

jbusto94
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I’m afraid I’m still having trouble connecting to the underground WiFi. I find it interesting that I’m able to connect to general O2 hot spots but unable to connect to the virgin media portal to O2. This hot spot is more prevalent than the general O2 one so I’d appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,
Julia
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143419 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As explained above, you need to be an o2 customer to connect to the WiFi extra hotspots.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Tofolo_1
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi

The O2 Wifi service in McDonalds, bars etc is free for anyone to use and its owned and installed by O2 so they allow anyone to use it. The Underground is a different service thats owned by Virgin and its up to your mobile provider to set that up with Virgin for you use. So just cause a 3, vod, ee customer can use O2 wifi this does not mean they can use Virgin Wifi. O2 set up a deal with Virgin for thier customers as did 3, vde, ee etc. 

As you are a sky customer they would need to agree (and pay) virgin for you to access the underground. And while Sky use the O2 masts that does not mean sky customers are actually on O2. They are just renting space on the network. so you dont get all the benafits of being with O2 as you are not with O2. Just like O2 customers dont get banafits of being with Sky. 

Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Tofolo_1  Really great to see you back. Thanks for your advice as well wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9