Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorised access?

Scotteh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Got a text from O2 that contained a six digit code for 'retrieving my account'. I did not attempt to retrieve my own account. Should I be worried? Obviously someone has tried to access my account, but only my number received that text... Right?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Check all is ok in My O2, change your password and then call customer service on 202 at 8am to query the text.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Check all is ok in My O2, change your password and then call customer service on 202 at 8am to query the text.

Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The text codes are sent to the phone registered on the account as a security measure. No one can reset a password without the code (this is also the reason why these codes can't be received in the Tugo app).
It could have been malicious or accidental but either way the system has blocked access so it's working.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

With the number of scams flying around at the moment, it's always a good idea to double check with customer service before replying to a text or email. Scammers rely on people panicking and having knee-jerk reactions to reply immediately or click on malicious links if they get a message that their account may be compromised. Staying calm and verifying whether the message is legitimate is always the best course of action.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
and always go to your web browser and type in your web addresses directly - never click a link in a text or email, for the same reason as stated above.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Scotteh Welcome to the community! Please come back and let us know the situation once you have spoken to customer services. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 7

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
well, I know that the codes can be bypast in store, as ive done this when I lost my phone and needed a new sim, it was a pain in the rear though, because they needed my bank details, password, security question, inside leg measurement lol. So yeah, the system does work. The staff cant access the account without it.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 7