cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to go, I think!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been a loyal customer of my original service provider over three incarnations of buy outs, eventually being told that my BT Cellnet was now O2. So, as you can work out, that's approaching nearly two decades of commitment from me (and paying contract fees)

During that time, I seem to be getting less and less for more billing. Just about every other provider seems to offer more data or minutes than O2 gives me. On using either of my O2 smartphones (Contract N920 & PAYG Z10 for the car) external wifi is a bit of a joke! O2 never seem to have a hotspot in Glasgow City Centre, nor anywhere else for that matter, and have corporately divorced themselves from utilising the BT infrastructure. My non O2 friends get wifi connections just about everywhere, I have to use wap!

On reflection, service is now poor. I get the impression that Telefonica is running down the service in the UK. Just about all the things that made O2 attractive has gone. Any excuse for denying us utilising a vast network of wifi hotspots is only that, an excuse! On the other hand, a cynic might posit the view that we are being forced to use our minutes rather than free wifi minutes. 24month handcuffs, overpriced handsets, lousy service - maybe time to go I think.
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

You do realise that your phones can connect to any Wifi network, not only O2 hotspots?

I've never had any problems finding a Wifi network to connect to when I'm in Glasgow, particularly in many of the shopping areas. I'll agree that in Glasgow City Centre the cellular network can be pretty poor on 3G and 2G, but if your SIMs are 4G capable then that should hopefully remove that problem.

Take into account the fact that Glasgow City Council are enabling free Open Air Wifi this year before the Commonwealth Games then you should be able to get Wifi anywhere in the city centre.

Edit to add:

Take a look at the O2 and Cloud Hostpot finders...there are a LARGE number of hotspots in Glasgow city centre and these are just two free wifi providers!

http://www.hotspotfinder.thecloud.net/consumer

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/hotspot

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree their service is terrible, i have 2 mobile contracts with them and recent service they provided to me is a joke...

your service is terrible! I have contract with o2 I have sent my Samsung Galaxy S3 for warranty repair as it switched off during phone call and i couldnt get this back on, it was sent off for repair to anovo, only to tell me they wont fix it as there is liquid damage to phone and it invalidates my warranty - complete rubbish! they quoted me £65 repair price which i refused as there were never any liquid damage to my phone. I requested them to take pictures of apparent liquid damage as a proof to why you invalidate my warranty, photos were never taken, so i refused to collect the phone until i see the photos, i've been advised by o2 store in lincoln it would have to be sent off for repair again so they can take the photos this time. next they they phone me and same story again, they wont fix my phone bla bla, but now apparently there is damage to LCD panel so now they want £125 for the repair !!! RIP OFF not only you're not providing the service you should by you have damaged my property!! when i complained about this i was told that they could never damage my phone, so how did it get damaged if i didnt even touch it since last repair as it was sent off immediately for repair again!!! that must be magic.!!! I am very disappointed with your service and with way you treated my phone, causing damage to it and refusing to take responsibility for it! i've been with o2 for about 10 years now either contract of pag phones, but that is it!!! NEVER AGAIN !!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I concur one must go where you are getting signal ,and in your view value for money.

Take into account O2 is investing and improving its network.

http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing

Sadly from reading your post I think discontent has set in and your mind made up. slight_smile

If you do leave I urge you to check out the other networks in your area via their payg sims to ensure you do get good signal from them.

Also take into account it's free as a contract customer to have your phone unlocked so it can be used on another network.

Two help links.

Leaving ; http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

PAC. : http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Obtaining-a-PAC-Code-from-the-O2-Network/m-p/54427...
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

DISCLAIMER - my remarks on this topic are of a general nature and are not to be taken as comment on the original post.

I think it was Churchill who said something like "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried."   That might well be adapted as a comment on O2 as a Mobile Phone Service Provider.   Now I have not been behind the door in criticising O2 and in particular their Customer Service - but when I speak to friends and relatives and listened to their interesting stories about how good other companies are I have found time after time that there is a degree of "one upmanship" involved.  It is I fear a common human trait to try to make other people believe we have got a better deal or better service or a better product at a better price than our neighbour.  I have learned not to be too quick to accept that far off fields are greener.  So I would caution anyone thinking of leaving O2 (with all its faults) to do your homework thoroughly and be convinced that you can get a truly better service, in every respect, elsewhere.

Gerry

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

You do realise that your phones can connect to any Wifi network, not only O2 hotspots?

I've never had any problems finding a Wifi network to connect to when I'm in Glasgow, particularly in many of the shopping areas. I'll agree that in Glasgow City Centre the cellular network can be pretty poor on 3G and 2G, but if your SIMs are 4G capable then that should hopefully remove that problem.

Take into account the fact that Glasgow City Council are enabling free Open Air Wifi this year before the Commonwealth Games then you should be able to get Wifi anywhere in the city centre.

Edit to add:

Take a look at the O2 and Cloud Hostpot finders...there are a LARGE number of hotspots in Glasgow city centre and these are just two free wifi providers!

http://www.hotspotfinder.thecloud.net/consumer

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/hotspot

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a BT Infinity customer I can access 5.4 million wifi spots with them. I am a Sky customer si can access the Cloud. I am an o2 customer so can access o2 wifi and there are many free ones such as coffee shops and mcdonalds to name but 2.

You should be able to get wifi in many places. Your phone will be able to access any wifi network if you have account access for it.

As for the network I live in a poor 2g only area and many places here have no signal at all. But o2 are coming. The engineers are on their way. The network is upgrading massively. 2g eg and 4g to 98% of the population by 2017, the highest commitment of any network that won spectrum.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
O2 WiFi is free to everyone regardless of O2 account status slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7