cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting a whatsapp user if I don't have the app

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dabbled with Whatsapp some years ago but ditched it as I don't tend to leave mobile data on and I don't send and receive the volume of messages to warrant it.

Now I am trying to sort out a social occasion and a lady has given me her number and said 'it's a whatsapp number'

The number given is what I recognise as a UK mobile number and I've texted it but I'm wondering if she'll get the message and be able to reply.

A Google says no but just thought I'd ask here, do I really have to install and enrol in Whatsapp and end up giving Facebook my phone number?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35231 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

You can edit WhatsApp privacy settings, if that helps, @Anonymous. 

Screenshot_20190930-193728__01.jpg

Better than Skype, not restricted to iphones (Facetime?) and easier than Google's IM/Chat/Hangouts or their new messaging app...

Good luck! 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35231 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

You can edit WhatsApp privacy settings, if that helps, @Anonymous. 

Screenshot_20190930-193728__01.jpg

Better than Skype, not restricted to iphones (Facetime?) and easier than Google's IM/Chat/Hangouts or their new messaging app...

Good luck! 

Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There's no such thing as a whatsapp number so the recipient will receive it as a text, however, they may be wanting to use whatsapp for a number of reasons such as easier group messaging or because they don't have a mobile signal etc.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 

Yeah, didn't think so as when I dabbled I had to verify my number.

Curiosity got the better of me and I installed it and verified my number and then I saw my boss online and remembered she is a very avid user.

I have to use Skype for business at work but there's no way am I going to let my boss be able to IM me when I'm off the clock.

The lady I'm trying to get hold of wasn't showing as online so it got uninstalled...... pronto.

I've sent the text so she will reply in her own time, or not.

slight_smile

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn 

Cheers, see my reply.

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 92928 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

She will definitely get the text at some stage unless she has no signal in which case the network (O2) will stop trying to deliver it after 7 days and the text will expire.

Message 6 of 10

Nicks1984
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just do what I did and block your boss on whatsapp yahoo

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Message got through and I got a reply so alls well that ends well.

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

thumbsup

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92928 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions