cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snack Games Scam Text

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just received an unsolicited text out of the blue saying I've subscribed to a service called SnackGames for £2.99 per week.  They invite you to send a 'stop' text to a number and list an 0330 premium rate number to call. The other contact details are obviously bogus too. What's worrying is that on checking my account, I have been charged 😞

On contacting O2 on-line chat, the fella was about as much use as a chocolate teapot and said it wasn't an O2 charge!

I don't want to get spanked for more (unknown) charges by responding to their text either.

Has anyone else had this and managed to resolve the issue OK?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Steve_F

I have falledn victim to same unsolicited scam. I have contacted O2 customer care on the phone and they were useless. Similar response- third party charges O2 cannot do anything other than taking charges out of your account- rubbish if you ask me, especially if you have not authorised the payment. Please let us know how you got on with speaking face to face with a person at O2 shop or any other steps you have taken. For now I have asked O2 to stop "charge to my mobile'. I am not sure why they do not do this (opt out) as default and people who need this can always phone and opt in to these services if they want to. 

Message 11 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous all the info you need to fix it is already in this thread.

For reference, help thread here also https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-scam-What/td-p/968023

Whilst o2 may refund you this month, they are unable to stop the charges completely unfortunately.

You must contact the company billing you to do this yourself.

Legislation really does need to change, but until then, we as customers must act ourselves.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
STOP giving misleading info M15. I suspect you are affiliated to 02. This scam is more widespread. The networks are enabling these diameters. Raise a complaint and report to Ofcom and your MP
Don't just moan on this board. Make people aware of this scam!
Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
And O2 can put a block against subscriptions M15 and they can STOP the charges!
Message 14 of 26

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Don't get mad at me for your own failings mate.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 26

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
o2 act as a billing agent, but do not directly raise the charge. much like if you brought an app through either the play or apple store YOU incur the charge, and you pay through your phone bill.
Due to a lack of control from any governing body, the ease which you can sign up means many people get stung by these charges.
Contacting PSA is the best way to get them stopped and any refund.
o2 will be able to put a block on your account but only after you stop the current issue.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 16 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Also it's obvious that many people sign up to these services because they actually WANT them. If they didn't they would go out of business. If you sign up inadvertently by clicking on a link in FB or some other outlet, how is that company or O2 expected to know this was an error on your part?

Its damn annoying, I accept that, but hardly illegal if you have actually signed up for a service. I'm not suggesting you did this personally ...but people do.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 26

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I really agree with MI5's suggestion of 2 stage verification - you enter your number then have to visit a page and enter some code.
Would make accidental subscription much harder.
Unfortunately as it means that the amount they make from unsuspecting customers would drop it is not in their favour to implement it...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 26

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You are of course correct in that assumption but it would be nice, just once, for someone to be looking after the consumer rather than the corporation.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 26

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm not sure they are looking after the corporation as half of these scammers are one man and his dog in some hidey-hole, probably a garden shed. 

Message 20 of 26