cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snack Games Scam Text

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just received an unsolicited text out of the blue saying I've subscribed to a service called SnackGames for £2.99 per week.  They invite you to send a 'stop' text to a number and list an 0330 premium rate number to call. The other contact details are obviously bogus too. What's worrying is that on checking my account, I have been charged 😞

On contacting O2 on-line chat, the fella was about as much use as a chocolate teapot and said it wasn't an O2 charge!

I don't want to get spanked for more (unknown) charges by responding to their text either.

Has anyone else had this and managed to resolve the issue OK?

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
They are common scams sadly, help thread here but no network can help, you must do it yourself https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premi...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
They are common scams sadly, help thread here but no network can help, you must do it yourself https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premi...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'm pretty hacked off about this given it just seems to be total theft.

I'm going to go into an O2 store tomorrow and speak to a human face to face, but I appreciate your feedback, thanks.

Message 3 of 26

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's a filthy dirty disgusting scam perpetrated by the scum of the earth but until OFCOM grow some balls and put a stop to it, us customers have to fight it ourselves I'm afraid.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 26

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how I get on....really f'd off needless to say!
Message 6 of 26

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I feel it mate. Good luck!

Currently using:
Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not O2's problem. You have to contact the company that charges you the subscription
Message 8 of 26

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I disagree, @Anonymous O2 are acting as the billing agent, so "should" be held liable for errors / scams just like paypal and the banks etc.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 9 of 26

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
I disagree, @Anonymous O2 are acting as the billing agent, so "should" be held liable for errors / scams just like paypal and the banks etc.

It's a difficult one, hence OFCOM seemingly unable to do much under the current way they deal with this. I think the sticking point is that some ppl do willingly sign up to these services (no idea why tbqh), so they can't outright ban them.

I agree that if the networks were somehow held liable for the scams, that there'd be a solution put in place quick smart. Imo it should be much more difficult to set-up these premium rate 'services'. They should also be heavily regulated, and held to account under said regulation. 

Unfortunately it would seem that the scumbags who set these up are making money, even if they're eventually fined due too shabby practices. Therein lies the root problem... £££

Message 10 of 26