Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Issue, Sim Swap Question

Cooltrain
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So a few days ago I hard reset my phone (Doogee X5 Pro, android 5) back to factory, supposedly its not supposed to effect the sim (PayG) but upon booting, the number displayed under the sim is the wrong number, (I suspect it was the original number for the sim). I live out of a area that gets good signal but when I can, checking for credit returns a "Connection Problem or Invalid MMI code". Switching that sim off and on again the number will still be wrong but I can then check credit, recive texts for a short time before it just spots working again.The time of the phone has also been reset (and can't be changed) back to 2016. I need to remove the battery to swap the sim so I'm not sure if this is causing that.

Called O2 explained the situation they said they would send me a new sim, I confirmed with them that I would keep my number, they said yes. I recived that sim yesterday. Inside the folded card packet with the sim is a label with the number and the SSN. The number on this label is not my number, I thought they would send it out pre-setup? Is this what the swap text is for? I didn't want to do that and confirm the swap if the number on the sim is wrong?

Any advice would be a big help.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cooltrain 

Try the sim first to check if they have ported your number to it.

If not, you can do a sim swap Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Cooltrain
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Putting the new sim in, android is showing no number, checking for credit (as expected) fails with an unable to connect error. If I try the txt to swap is there a message I need to send after the confirmation code? I don't want to start the swap and then have my sim dropout and stop working but I've started the process.

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cooltrain 

I wouldn't expect to see a number, this is normal for O2.

Does the sim have your number on it ? Guide: How do I find my own mobile number? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Cooltrain
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The sticker inside the sim pack (New sim) is NOT my number.

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cooltrain 

Check it with the text method as it may have been ported already.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Cooltrain
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't think its working yet. New sim in and I'm not getting any signal now. It was patch before though. (As I said in top post based on where I live)

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cooltrain 

They may have sent you a blank to do a sim swap then Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

Wait and see if anything happens first as swaps have been taking longer than usual just lately.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

Cooltrain
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well its now been 24 hours since the last swap text. I don't get signal on either sims, my old one has gone dead. I got an app called 'SIM Card'. Both the new and the old sim are reporting (Under the app) as  "Network Locked".

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cooltrain 

Sounds like the process has started.

You'll have to wait now whilst they work through the backlog of requests.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13