cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal booster for coverage in rural areas

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Does anybody know of a way to boost coverage for the O2 signal in rural areas. Sick of hanging out of the window.
I have decent broadband speed from sky but O2 customer services have told me the poor reception is not their issue. Told me to look on ebay for a booster.
When I mentioned a boost box to use the internet to phone they just blanked it. Denver even considered it as an option although my neighbour on a business contract has one and it works fine.

Shame really as I've been a loyal O2 customer for years and it seems myself and my wife will have to leave.

Cheers
Paul
Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
No, but wouldn't it be great. Then networks would have to entice us with price and service only.

Well o2 will have to by end of 2017 (98% coverage by population points indoors with a min data speed of 2mb) as per the license granted to them during the 4g auction . http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/spectrum/mobile-wireless-broadband/cellular/licences/SA_800_L...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 41 of 61

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

The big issue is that the 98%will live in major cities or towns and the fringe rural areas will still be poorly covered. People really need to try all the networks but with the various buyouts and takeovers choice is going to be limited to one of three.

Message 42 of 61

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie agreed I did have a link to how ofcom worked the 98% out it was a long document and I will dig it out again .

But only o2 are obliged to do this so may in the end be the one to go for unless all do it voluntarily

Just my take !

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 43 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am about to move into a rural area with a marginal 3G O2 signal, away from a good 4G location.

Does O2, or any of its partners, offer anything equivalent to the Vodafone Sure Signal booster, which residents in my new location are using?

Message 44 of 61

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Only Tu is available on o2 unless you can persuade o2 to let you have a boostbox.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 45 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have TU available on my phone but of course it seldoms gets used with an otherwise good mobile signal. I'll have to wait and see how it performs when the signal is significantly inferior on a daily basis.

Message 46 of 61

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks
Message 48 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I have no signal from anyone unless I walk 200 metres away, so I suppose an O2 Boosterbox isn't going to help? Do signal boosters work, possibly remotely locating the aerial, there are some on the Internet but not sure if they are legal, some look really dodgy. Any suggestions would be gratefully received, I would rather not be reliant on wifi as this would restrict use of the phone just within the house. It's only Dorset so not remote, many thanks
Message 49 of 61

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
No signal boosters sold online are legal and you will end up in jail if you use them.
Ofcom are very clear on this.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 50 of 61