cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal booster for coverage in rural areas

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Does anybody know of a way to boost coverage for the O2 signal in rural areas. Sick of hanging out of the window.
I have decent broadband speed from sky but O2 customer services have told me the poor reception is not their issue. Told me to look on ebay for a booster.
When I mentioned a boost box to use the internet to phone they just blanked it. Denver even considered it as an option although my neighbour on a business contract has one and it works fine.

Shame really as I've been a loyal O2 customer for years and it seems myself and my wife will have to leave.

Cheers
Paul
Message 1 of 61
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Boostbox is only available for business users (not sure if you are or not?), also I wasn't aware you were using an iPhone.... the Tugo issue is with iOS7 only as it hasn't yet been updated for the new system - I'm sure it will come in the next update though....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

What does your Service Status say http://status.o2.co.uk/

Usual advice is to switch to 2g to see if this improves your service.

O2 TuGo for Pay Monthly customers and boostboxes for business customers.

I've asked before why o2 wont supply boost boxes to pay monthly customers and I'm still waiting for a reply.

Others such as WhatsApp and viber could be useful.

Message 2 of 61

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Link for Tugo here http://www.o2.co.uk/tugo/want-it
You can use it on your phone, tablets or PC and connects over your wifi connection.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tugo doesn't work with an iPhone when the keypad is locked. Basically it's a boostbox or I have to go to vodaphone and bring the family with me. Shame really.
Message 4 of 61

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Boostbox is only available for business users (not sure if you are or not?), also I wasn't aware you were using an iPhone.... the Tugo issue is with iOS7 only as it hasn't yet been updated for the new system - I'm sure it will come in the next update though....

Currently using:
Message 5 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any idea why the boostbox is for business only as vodaphone do a cheaper version for personal use. This is the fist time I've been very lye down by O2.
Message 6 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let down. 🙂
Message 7 of 61

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's O2 policy - No idea as I don't make the rules. Sounds like it's either wait for Tugo to update or go to Voda, nothing else you can do really......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes perfect sense to use a Network that offers a stable signal where you live, work and commute etc.

I would however suggest you get a payg sim for the alternative Networks you may want to use just to check out that they do give better signal than O2.

Also while you on a contract with O2 the unlock process is free which means you are then free to use these alternative sim cards.

Unlocking Form :  https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Message 9 of 61

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Or take any business contract as a sole trader (many have) and pay for a boostbox if it works well for you every where else you need it.

P.s. even boostbox on o2 is still a trial product and may be stopped.

And looking at vodafone forums shows unhappy users.

With boostbox o2 are using there licence to provide a femto cell in your property with tugo no licence is required . (not sure if this costs them extra or just part of there yearly licence fee)
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 61