cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam warning, received this email, requests all bank acct details once logged in

Anonymous
Not applicable

This e-mail was sent to me by O2.

Hello MICHELLE,
Your O2 account requires your immediate attention.
We've made some important security changes to our website and in our best attempts to keep you safe, we require each of our customers to confirm their accounts in order for their mobile services to remain active.

Please confirm that the information displayed below is correct:

Name:MICHELLE
Date of Birth:
Mobile Number:
Current Plan: O2 300 24 month £17.45 per month

You must now click here HERE to verify your O2 account.
Regards
The O2 Team

Sorry, but we can't write back to you from this address, so please do not reply.

This email is sent from Telefonica UK Limited
Registered office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX
Registered number: 1743099

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous  Yes the originator from Italy was identified by another member @Beenherebefore  on another Scam thread yesterday.  It doesn't hurt to get the message out as much as possible though. Thanks for your heads up..:smileywink:

It doesn't necessarily mean the scammer is located in Italy.

The Italian website has been hacked and is being used to spam out.

The scammer could be located anywhere in the world.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 61 of 62

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys, I have received the below info regarding this issue and wanted to share it for your piece of mind. I will close off this discussion now, but feel free to PM me about the issue if you're having any more communication of this kind:

We’ve completed the investigation after reports from some customers about a new phishing scam. This attempt was triggered by a malware.  

To explain a little further, if a computer/laptop is compromised, the scammers can put on key loggers and other malware, this can be done when visiting legitimate compromised web sites, clicking on phishing e-mails or using unsecured wireless networks. They can capture keystrokes and screenshots of any systems that a user logs onto.  This information is then used by the scammers in targeted phishing emails and texts to make the user think they are genuinely sent from the originator because it appears to contain accurate information to the user.

To conclude, no personal data that may have been used within this phishing scam originated from O2.

We have a page on our website where customers can find out more about phishing emails, how to spot them and what they can do if they receive one that claims to be from us: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/phishing#qs You can also check out our blog that showcase an example phishing email attempt: http://news.o2.co.uk/2014/05/29/phishing-alert-may-2014/

We take the subject of security very seriously and we’re constantly working hard to help prevent fraudulent activity from happening.  Customers who receive an email they suspect is a phishing scam just need to forward it to phishing@o2.com so we can investigate and shut down these scammers.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 62 of 62