Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam texts

Guevara
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 39 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I phoned customer services on 202 yesterday and was very impressed by the service I received. After a short automated response feature I was quickly put through to an advisor, who answered all of my questions in detail.

Today I received a text in the o2 text stream stating as I had contacted o2 customer services they would like to talk to me about it they also stated all texts are free. I didn't attempt to text back but a few minutes later another text arrived from 28585 asking me the reason why I had contacted customer services.

I thought that this was going to be some servey so I texted back because I had been so impressed with the service the previous day. When I pressed send a prompt popped up warning it might incur charges and the text didn't send apparently. The prompt said to resend tap the text. Which I didn't do.

After googling the number I realised 28585 is not a number anyone should be texting. And on closer inspection of the texts the grammar was poor.

I deleted the texts except the one awaiting to be resent as I don't even want to touch it incase I somehow accidently send it.
There have been no further texts sent to me from 'o2' or this 28585 number. I would be interested in peoples thoughts and advice on this matter. Is this a common problem or has anyone else experienced this? And how do I delete my text message that is waiting to be resent without actually sending it?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The survey texts are free and may come up with a warning message. I have used this feedback method a few times. Not sure about the last text you received though to be honest. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The survey texts are free and may come up with a warning message. I have used this feedback method a few times. Not sure about the last text you received though to be honest. 

Message 2 of 18

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you have an android phone just long press on the message and choose delete from the pop up menu.
Phones always warn that shortcodes could be chargeable, even if they are free.
Text surveys to O2 are all free to send to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

Guevara
  • 39 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Okay thanks for the quick response. I have deleted the text I didn't send. The first one which appeared in the o2 stream reads as follows:

"Hi, you spoke with at O2 on Thursday We'd like to ask you some questions about your experience (all texts are FREE)".

Looks convincing at first glance but the grammar and punctuation are well off.
Message 4 of 18

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Looks like the normal text we all receive to me.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think it is O2. We had one recently with two digit difference on this thread here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/Is-Text-28484-genuine-O2-or-a-scam/td-p/10411...

O2 generally contact you with a survey to complete after dealing with them I had one when I upgraded

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

Guevara
  • 39 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5 okay thanks for clearing that up. The jump to a short code number just didn't feel right to me when the warning flagged it up about charges.
Message 7 of 18

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It’s fine to ignore it as you did and we would always recommend that to anyone who was unsure, but in this case, I believe it’s perfectly normal.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 18

Guevara
  • 39 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for putting my mind at rest.
Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No problem at all slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18