Did you mean: 

Scam call?

Gissitta2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi
I think I just had an automated scam call it was an American accent telling me my router had been compromised and they needed access to it it asked me to press 1 but I hung up anyone else had this?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:
Hi @Cleoriff
I block all withheld numbers, on the basis if you are not willing to show who you are then I don't want to talk.
Scammers are using generic numbers can show a local code! I leave the answer phone on landline , scammers never leave a message 😃 I tell everyone about scammers and use mobile for all communication. Texts too. Or say leave a message on landline and I'll call back. Works for me.😀

@TallTrees

I can't though. Mine come through on my landline and if there is no number to block it can't be done on that.

I rarely have my spam calls on my mobile as I never give it the number to anyone. (except hospital)

There's also another reason. If calls from Hospitals, GP surgeries. district nurse hubs. large organisations etc etc go through a large central switch board they always come up as Withheld

So sadly I have to answer them all 'just in case'.

If the calls are generically generated, they are easy enough to block, though they will usually just change the last digit and call again at another time!!

O2 have my mobile number obviously and it's always a good thing to check your contact preference settings frequently. If they update My O2, they tend to reset those to default!!

This has happened on about 4 occasions now .

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 14

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10660 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @Cleoriff

Completely understand.  Yes, there are downsides, most hospitals use the landline through a switchboard and these show withheld and that is impossible to deal with as do other organisations. I had same.  I try continuously to change organisations etc. to use my mobile but I am always concerned. I have been quite successful though.  Dentist uses automation to text.   Drs. do too, reminder texts.  Slowly going there.  It is a battle!  On the basis that I rarely give out landline number for contact now hopefully most will change over. Like you no scams on mobile, have to say ~ yet. 

I will also consider using another mobile number for some things  if I need more security or I am concerned.

Thanks for the tip, checking my update preferences regularly ~ smiley

I have truly suffered with scam calling.  I vowed to beat them..  

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

No landline, only mobile

Voicemail off

I end calls which take 1 or 2 seconds to come through & block them

My medical calls always come through as 'Private Number' so they are always answered

I have truecaller app on my phone ... if a spam call gets through I ask who is calling in a polite voice, listen to their answer, end the call, then block the number

Gives me some peace of mind

Message 13 of 14

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10660 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous

Excellent information ~ thanks for sharing that ~ all noted.

Truecaller noted.  I have no Voicemail either.

Best wishes TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 14 of 14