Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS support

Mr-Elly-Font
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With more and more providers starting to roll out RCS across the world. I'm just wondering if O2 have announced if they will be rolin it out across the uk any time soon.

Message 1 of 86
85 REPLIES 85

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

O2 are usually last at adopting new tech unless the manufacturers stipulate it’s usage

so pestering the manufacturer may have more responses 

It's already baked into the default messaging app so manufacturers have nothing to do to support RCS anyway, all O2 need to do is enable it their end.

Message 51 of 86

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@terminusaquo wrote:

I think it's time to keep pestering O2 until they decide otherwise, I really cannot believe that they are perfectly fine with being the ONLY UK mobile network to NOT support RCS Universal Profile, all they have to do is enable it at their end and then all phones that support RCS can use it regardless.

I'm sure that if it was that simple, they would have done it by now Smiley Frustrated

But it IS that simple, do you think Vodafone would have supported it since 2014 if it wasn't?

Message 52 of 86

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've no idea mate.
I'm not clever enough to know nor am privy to the inside workings of networks or their business cases.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 53 of 86

Matt0801
Level 3: Thinker
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
All Android OEMs are already onboard, except Samsung and users get round that by downloading Google's Android Messages app. This is purely laziness and ignorance from O2, nothing more.
Google Pixel 3 XL, Android Q beta 4
Message 54 of 86

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I've no idea mate.
I'm not clever enough to know nor am privy to the inside workings of networks or their business cases.

You have to remember that back in 2014 there was no universal profile for RCS either:

https://blog.vodafone.co.uk/2014/09/10/understanding-message-and-rcs-why-were-giving-you-the-future-...

Message 55 of 86

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Matt0801 wrote:
All Android OEMs are already onboard, except Samsung and users get round that by downloading Google's Android Messages app. This is purely laziness and ignorance from O2, nothing more.

Exactly, even Windows 10 Mobile has support for RCS baked into it as well.

Message 56 of 86

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@terminusaquo If it is that important I would not stay with o2 and move to a network that supports it 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 57 of 86

Matt0801
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Which is exactly what I have done, but networks should not be placing their customers in this position regarding a universal rollout of technology that's available to every Android user at device level. That's nearly 3 billion people around the world.
Google Pixel 3 XL, Android Q beta 4
Message 58 of 86

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@terminusaquo If it is that important I would not stay with o2 and move to a network that supports it 

I shouldn't have to move networks though. This isn't something that is network specific, RCS is rolling out WORLDWIDE so it's in the best interests of O2-UK to support it. If O2-UK really want me to move to the worst network operator in the country, Vodafone, to get the full functionality of my phone then I will but I shouldn't have to do that.

Message 59 of 86

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Matt0801 wrote:
Which is exactly what I have done, but networks should not be placing their customers in this position regarding a universal rollout of technology that's available to every Android user at device level. That's nearly 3 billion people around the world.

Precisely, as I said it's in the best interests of O2-UK to support RCS unless they are happy to lose customers to other networks.

Message 60 of 86