Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS support

Mr-Elly-Font
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With more and more providers starting to roll out RCS across the world. I'm just wondering if O2 have announced if they will be rolin it out across the uk any time soon.

Message 1 of 86
85 REPLIES 85

GoatyMcGoat
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, let's indeed hope they do Matt0801.

If o2 have no immediate plans to support RCS then I will simply move to a provider that will. I have 8 months left on my contact ...so if you wish to keep me I suggest you better get RCS rolling out soon o2.

Message 31 of 86

Matt0801
Level 3: Thinker
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I agree. I'll be leaving too.
Google Pixel 3 XL, Android Q beta 4
Message 32 of 86

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That won’t bother o2 in the slightest.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 86

Matt0801
Level 3: Thinker
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That's not for you to state.
Google Pixel 3 XL, Android Q beta 4
Message 34 of 86

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Okay you’re right about that, but a few million left when they removed Tugo and that didn’t bother them so you leaving over RCS certainly won’t.
Anyway I hope they do for those who feel it’s a deal breaker for them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 35 of 86

Mr-Elly-Font
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You might be right with O2 not caring losing a few people not rolling out RCS as the hype build up but thats the issue with O2 then are stuck in the wait for everyone else to do it then may just then look in to doing it when they will miss out on all the hype they would get with being early to the game. I'm with everyone else where will be loking for a new phone in october time and if theres another network with RCS by then I will most likely move.

Message 36 of 86

saibogu009
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I think it's a bad time to be ignoring RCS. I work for a major independent phone shop and more and more people are moving away from iPhone to Android.

Having iMessage type capabilities enabled will only help them decide which network to go with...

I get a feeling we'll hear about RCS on O2 before long.
Message 37 of 86

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

O2 UK is run as an entirely separate business so it doesn’t guarantee anything.

That may be the case but they are still owned by Telefonica.

Message 38 of 86

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I never disputed that.
The point I was making is that just because Telefonica is on the list, doesn't mean that all the subsidiary companies will get all the same features.
I hope they do btw, but it's not guaranteed.

Currently using:
Message 39 of 86

iar1980
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

RCS currently works well on the Vodafone network here in the UK. Android Messages as well as Samsung's own messages app are compatible. Once you message it automatically detects whether the person you are texting is on the vodafone network and has either Android Messages or Samsung Messages installed with the advanced features. If it succesfully detects it shows up as chat message (rcs) in the text box and will send messages/images/videos over a data connection, along with provided delivered and read receipts, if not it shows as text messages (sms). 

I just hope all the other MNO's including o2 quickly enable this feature as will prove to be very useful...

See Below Examples

SMS

Screenshot_20180420-140518.png

RCS

Screenshot_20180420-140513.png

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 40 of 86