Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported number not being displayed on text messages I send

SimonP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi all, I've recently ported my old SMARTY number across to a new 02 account and Sim. However, although in My02 the correct (ie old number ported in from SMARTY) shows as the accounts phone number, when I send anyone a text message, the 02 Sim's original number show's up at the receivers end of the text message. So I keep getting people I know asking who I am, or if I've got a new number. What do I need to do to get this fixed? I've tried dialling 202, but keep getting cut off. I've tried the My02 app, it keeps telling me I can't start a chat with them as they are too busy.

Help!

Simon

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SimonP
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

All sorted now...

"We checked on the OnePlus forums & there seems to be an answer that possibly the SIM may need to be replaced so your number (now on the current SIM) will move onto a new SIM with no number underneath. The thread below explains & it also is related to SMS and other number supporting services on the phone. We'd advise popping to a local O2 store & getting them to activate a 5G SIM again & this should then fix it. Alternatively we can send you one out if you are okay to wait a couple of days. #O2Guru”

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 4

SimonP
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

All sorted now...

"We checked on the OnePlus forums & there seems to be an answer that possibly the SIM may need to be replaced so your number (now on the current SIM) will move onto a new SIM with no number underneath. The thread below explains & it also is related to SMS and other number supporting services on the phone. We'd advise popping to a local O2 store & getting them to activate a 5G SIM again & this should then fix it. Alternatively we can send you one out if you are okay to wait a couple of days. #O2Guru”

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@SimonP 

The problem stems from the fact that O2 don't push numbers to sim cards like other networks do.

This is now becoming an issue with the introduction of RCS messaging services where a number is required to activate the service and is read from the sim, so the phone reads what is on the sim you had originally from O2.

A new sim will fix it as they are blank so you can apply your number in the RCS settings in the message app.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4