cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outrageous O2 grey market practices!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I buy a Sony Xperia z5 Compact from the o2 shop in Preston and am pretty happy with it. Notwithstanding the first one I had had a technical issue it was dealt with pretty efficiently. At the time I wanted to buy a cover but the store said their stock had been 'uplifted' by head office!.  I went back a week later to see if the cover I wanted the Sony scr44 in black was in stock but again nothing doing.

The black one is pretty sought after, and  I assumed you must have just run out of stock... till I found this...

O2 Official Ebay store run by Kondor ltd

Where you are flogging them out at nearly £40 for the black ones but only £16 for the coral ones.

I guess it wont be long before o2 get into the ticket touting, and market trading business!!

I have put in a complaint!! 

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Agreed, and in line with what I said earlier.
In defense (of an indefensible stance!), they are more expensive on Amazon than any other colour. Admittedly "only" 35 compared to the 26 for the white, 23 for the orange/yellow and 16 for the coral.
However, it does seem very underhanded to remove something from sale in stores at one price and put it online at an inflated price.
Which is what this all looks like!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 31 of 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Thanks for checking Toby.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 42

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Out of interest (and to better understand your points) how would you change what is already happening? What could be done to the site to combat your points? Eager to hear your views.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 33 of 42

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
It's not the site per se that is the problem here @Toby.
I think the issue is the morality behind taking something off sale in stores (and removing the stock) to allow a 3rd party to sell it at a much increased price.
Remember that pharmaceutical company that increased prices for an AIDs related drug? It looks like that...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 34 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

O2 may see this as a profit making venture....I think it's appalling practice.

By all means allow them to sell stock....but at the prices O2 sold them. Not at these vastly inflated prices.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 42

MI5
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
What was the previous O2 shop price?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 36 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
What was the previous O2 shop price?

No idea Rich...but the coral one selling at £16 is some sort of indication. If anything the black cover would 'normally' be a couple of £'s more expensive?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 42

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 38 of 42

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@ianmr65 wrote:

So I buy a Sony Xperia z5 Compact from the o2 shop in Preston and am pretty happy with it. Notwithstanding the first one I had had a technical issue it was dealt with pretty efficiently. At the time I wanted to buy a cover but the store said their stock had been 'uplifted' by head office!.  I went back a week later to see if the cover I wanted the Sony scr44 in black was in stock but again nothing doing.

The black one is pretty sought after, and  I assumed you must have just run out of stock... till I found this...

O2 Official Ebay store run by Kondor ltd

Where you are flogging them out at nearly £40 for the black ones but only £16 for the coral ones.

I guess it wont be long before o2 get into the ticket touting, and market trading business!!

I have put in a complaint!! 

Just an FYI.

The rrp set by Sony on SCR44 is £34.99.
Addin on the eBay fees for corporate will give you the £37.99 price.
The coral is the hard to shift one as it's a niche colour, so has been reduced. The black one at £37.99 is the retail price.

Message 39 of 42

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Interesting (and should really have thought to look at that myself!).
Thanks for putting it more into context.

Message 40 of 42