Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of contract for years - phone still locked

ZeebleTweeble
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Really dissapointed with O2 angry, I have been out of contract for over 2 years, today I put a different SIM into my phone... yup, my phone is locked.

Called the 202 line, they are only taking calls for people leaving or upgrading. I'd like to leave but obviously I can't because my phone is locked, even though I've been out of contract for over 2 years. This phone belongs to me, not them. The day the contract finished it should have been unlocked.

I filled in the online form to unlock phone, it says "may take 14 days". It's an absolute *bleep* take. I feel like upgrading to the most expensive phone they have, then cancelling payments and telling them to go £*#@ themselves.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Unfortunately the policy when you took out the contract was that phones were supplied locked.
Do you still have an account with o2?
Put that sim in the phone for a couple of days. When the my o2 app recognises the phone you can ask for it to be unlocked in the app.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@ZeebleTweeble 

How to here Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

ZeebleTweeble
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
thx. I did that on the app and on the website -- says they will get back to me within 7 days.
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Usually quicker but who knows right now.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I usually get emailed but generally iPhones are unlocked before it arrives.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7