cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offered a 5G SIM, have an old phone, is it needed?

Madeleinefaye
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This is actually not me but my grandma.

She has an old phone (not exactly sure what model but it's from several years ago). She has been told she needs to swap to 5G SIM. She doesn't use her phone for the Internet at all, only phone calls, texts and photos really.

She's worried that by swapping SIM cards she will lose things like messages and other information on her phone that she wants to keep. Obviously at the moment I can't visit her, so I can't help her out by transferring it anywhere if needed and she wouldn't manage it by herself.

My question is, does she absolutely need this new 5G SIM given that she won't be using the phone for anything on the Internet, and that her phone is likely from before 5G was a thing? Can she safely carry on as she is without it affecting anything?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Madeleinefaye 

No she doesn't need to swap to a 5G sim at all. If it's an old phone, It probably wouldn't be 5G capable anyway. Tell her to use her old sim. It suits her needs,

Hope this helps.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Madeleinefaye 

No she doesn't need to swap to a 5G sim at all. If it's an old phone, It probably wouldn't be 5G capable anyway. Tell her to use her old sim. It suits her needs,

Hope this helps.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Madeleinefaye
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you, that's what I was hoping slight_smile
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Well that was quickly sorted @Madeleinefaye. No hassle, she can continue using her old sim. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Madeleinefaye 

O2 are making network changes which will render old sim cards useless from April 1st (not a joke).

All new sims are 5g but that's nothing to do whether the phone is 5g or not as they will work in all phones.

I suggest she does a sim swap now so whe doesn't lose service in April.

Nothing will be lost as all her contacts etc should be on the phone anyway.

How to sim swap here Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Madeleinefaye
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you @MI5 this is really helpful, I'll pass on the number to text for instructions as I think that will help her.

I had wondered if there was something like this. It's frustrating because she can't really remember what information she's been given or understand it very well and without being there with her it's hard to help, and I don't know enough about it. Thank you for your time slight_smile
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Madeleinefaye 

If you need any more help, just come back and ask. thumbsup

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7