cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 sends marketing emails to wrong address - how to change it?

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I've just discovered that O2 has been sending marketing-type emails to a Gmail address that I only set up to be able to use an Android phone. I don't use it as an email as I find Google very invasive, but as I was getting demands from Google via my phone to provide it with my phone number, I logged into Gmail using that email address. In there were emails from O2 including the one I never received about O2 Travel changing. I still get emails about bills and my account from O2 into my usual email address that is also my login to MyO2.

I never gave this useless Gmail email address to O2 and I don't want emails sent there. Does anyone know how to change this? For me it's unprecedented that a company of which I'm a customer send me emails to two different email addresses in relation to the same single-user mobile phone account I have with them.

Many thanks for any pointers.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I think I remember what happened -- when I downloaded the O2 Priority app, this Gmail address (which is linked to the Android OS on the phone) was already populated in the "email" field for O2 Priority offers. I must have kept it as that as would only read those emails on the phone and would not use Gmail for any other purpose. I didn't think it would update the email address for all O2 mass emails (i.e. everything bar billing- or order-related emails specific to my account). Otherwise useful non-spammy emails like O2 Travel changes and the 50% extra data offers had passed me by as I forgot to ever look at this Gmail ...

(I only use that Gmail address for Google Play Store and the fact that I was forced to create a Google login for the phone (Android)).

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

If your bill is going to the correct email address it could have been a phishing email. Made to look like an o2 email

Just check in myo2 about marketing etc but it should all go to the billing address

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 16

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

They do contain the last four digits of my phone number, and my first name, which I haven't given to Google ...

Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have 2 email addresses related to O2. BT Internet and Gmail. I only set up  Gmail in order to access this forum and get emails on any topics I reply to (as bt internet was playing up.) However, I get emails from O2 on both addresses. My bill comes to gmail which is current.....other info occasionally comes to btinternet (which they obviously still have for automated info purposes)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Then I would be calling customer services to enquirer what has happened if in myo2 it is the correct information as that is the only address they use.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

You do need to contact CS and ask for one address the GMail one to be deleted from their records

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 16

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks. I've just phoned them and they have no knowledge of the Gmail address. I wonder if it's something to do with the O2 Priority app. That wouldn't explain why surveys about billing and notices about changes to O2 Travel were going through to that email. It seems like some external mass email third party working for O2 has got the wrong email somehow.

Remains to be seen if the password reset that they've done as a result of my phone call actually sorts this out ...

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is this page, best thing, just call customer service and sort it out. I'm pretty much sure it got something to do with the app : )

Message 8 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

There is this page, best thing, just call customer service and sort it out. I'm pretty much sure it got something to do with the app : )

If required... this is a far more comprehensive guide https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-these-steps-to/m-p/386364#M37293

However the OP's main complaint is that marketing texts are being sent to a Gmail address that O2 should have no access to at all. Lets hope their password reset has helped.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 16

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Lovely to see you being helpful @Anonymous and welcome to the community! Been with O2 long?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 16