cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 recycle

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have (had) a Blackberry Bold that I had as an upgrade but never really used at a push two months use, as you can imagine it was in immaculate condition. I took it to my local O2 store to recycle thinking it was all assessed and paid in store, which I now know it isn't, it gets sent away to O2 recycle.  I discussed with the store assistant that I was a bit worried that once they have your phone they start to knock money off. She said that they would find it hard to find a scratch on it and the only problem she could see would be if it didn't make calls etc (which it did). So I let it go.

Text message from o2 recycle telling me that 75% is getting knocked off my phone. I email for a reason but no reply, so phone. The problem is screen damage although she did say this may be screen burn and not a scratch. I said it was in perfect condition when it left me and was told basically that it wasn't an O2 recycle problem and contact the Royal mail, packed by the shop I said, still not our problem said the operator but you could try the shop first.

So at the end of the day I am going to have a damaged phone returned to me. As I originally thought it was an in store job I did not take photos of the phone before I went . I will pursue a claim but lack of proof of condition before it left me makes it highly unlikely any money will come my way.

So What is good practice before sending your phone to recycle?

Fully charged.

Take a video of phone working and making calls.

Be honest with yourself about damage.

I would still take to O2 shop as packaging would be out of your hands.

Read terms a conditions.

Anything anyone would like to add?

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92926 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

All too common I'm afraid and one reason I would never recycle through O2. Ask for the phone back (hope you took photos of the phone before hand),check the IMEI to make sure it's the phone you sent and take it to CEX or sell it on eBay.

Message 41 of 42

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @BeeTee,

Sorry to hear you're not happy. Have you contacted the recycle team again about this? If you disagree with the initial review, it can be investigated if you get in contact :).

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 42 of 42