cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 recycle

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have (had) a Blackberry Bold that I had as an upgrade but never really used at a push two months use, as you can imagine it was in immaculate condition. I took it to my local O2 store to recycle thinking it was all assessed and paid in store, which I now know it isn't, it gets sent away to O2 recycle.  I discussed with the store assistant that I was a bit worried that once they have your phone they start to knock money off. She said that they would find it hard to find a scratch on it and the only problem she could see would be if it didn't make calls etc (which it did). So I let it go.

Text message from o2 recycle telling me that 75% is getting knocked off my phone. I email for a reason but no reply, so phone. The problem is screen damage although she did say this may be screen burn and not a scratch. I said it was in perfect condition when it left me and was told basically that it wasn't an O2 recycle problem and contact the Royal mail, packed by the shop I said, still not our problem said the operator but you could try the shop first.

So at the end of the day I am going to have a damaged phone returned to me. As I originally thought it was an in store job I did not take photos of the phone before I went . I will pursue a claim but lack of proof of condition before it left me makes it highly unlikely any money will come my way.

So What is good practice before sending your phone to recycle?

Fully charged.

Take a video of phone working and making calls.

Be honest with yourself about damage.

I would still take to O2 shop as packaging would be out of your hands.

Read terms a conditions.

Anything anyone would like to add?

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That was my theory too.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 42

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Hmm. Only problem I see with that is you'd obviously be offered less to pay for the "insured" postage.

I do agree though but I don't see it happening:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 22 of 42

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Nothing to stop the shop paying out the customer and reclaiming the money from the recyclers. They could also hang on to the phones until they got, say 10, and post them all together in one box to save on postage costs.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 23 of 42

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I like very much^^ slight_smile

Ignore my previous post.

Now how to get this implemented! Toby? Leonard?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 24 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

I upgraded my Sony Xperia E to a Nokia 735, but there was an upfront cost of £40 which I wasn't sure about. "No problem" I was told,"you can recycle your old phone to offset the charge".

A great idea, I thought until I was told it was worth only £9.  Nevertheless, I was also told I could bring in any old phones to make up the difference, which I did.

I took eight old phones in. My old Xperia E, my wifes old Xperia E and various Motorolas and Nokias. These were assessed in the shop and out of the 8 I was offered a total of £45 on four of them with the other four being worthless. Never mind, I thought, £45 will pay for the upfront cost and better than throwing the phones out.

I have today received a call from the people recycling the phones telling me there is a problem with the display on one of the Sony Xperias and the value is now only £1.80!!! They still have to assess 2 of the others I was offered money on so I could be in for further bad news.

The point of my message is that the O2 shop didn't say anything about this possibly happening. I took at face value the valuations on the phones - even the ones they said had no value. Bearing in mind both Xperias were working fine when I had them, I only have their word that there is a problem with the display.

I wish I had taken them to the private recycling shop further down the road.  At least I would have got cash for them and no sneaky come back like you do from O2.

TOTAL RIP OFF!!!!

Message 25 of 42

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Common rip off practice unfortunately.....

Currently using:
Message 26 of 42

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I would never use O2 Recycle for this very reason. Quite a few threads about this over recent months.

Message 27 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm seriously considering taking the Nokia 735 back under the 14 day cool off clause and cancelling my contract with O2 and going elsewhere just because I don't think I can trust O2 anymore.

I have been a loyal customer for years and this is how they treat you. Like all things these days, there is no reward for loyalty.

Message 28 of 42

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 29 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
You send 8 phones back for recycling and you get treated like this? Not good at all. It is not as though these phones will likely be sold on.

I recycled last time at Carphone Warehouse who offered me a price Inc store which was slightly below that I may have got elsewhere but much much less hassle. It was done and dusted on two phones in less than 5 minutes.
Message 30 of 42