cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 recycle

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have (had) a Blackberry Bold that I had as an upgrade but never really used at a push two months use, as you can imagine it was in immaculate condition. I took it to my local O2 store to recycle thinking it was all assessed and paid in store, which I now know it isn't, it gets sent away to O2 recycle.  I discussed with the store assistant that I was a bit worried that once they have your phone they start to knock money off. She said that they would find it hard to find a scratch on it and the only problem she could see would be if it didn't make calls etc (which it did). So I let it go.

Text message from o2 recycle telling me that 75% is getting knocked off my phone. I email for a reason but no reply, so phone. The problem is screen damage although she did say this may be screen burn and not a scratch. I said it was in perfect condition when it left me and was told basically that it wasn't an O2 recycle problem and contact the Royal mail, packed by the shop I said, still not our problem said the operator but you could try the shop first.

So at the end of the day I am going to have a damaged phone returned to me. As I originally thought it was an in store job I did not take photos of the phone before I went . I will pursue a claim but lack of proof of condition before it left me makes it highly unlikely any money will come my way.

So What is good practice before sending your phone to recycle?

Fully charged.

Take a video of phone working and making calls.

Be honest with yourself about damage.

I would still take to O2 shop as packaging would be out of your hands.

Read terms a conditions.

Anything anyone would like to add?

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
No of course I'm not disputing that O2 don't make money from it. I didn't mean to give that impression.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 11 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was the phone double wrapped in bubble wrapped and put in a 'fragile' jiffy bag?

Yes I know the phone was given over the counter to a stranger at a store.

Message 12 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
No idea. The Sales person in the shop didnt look like she planned to be wrapping it anytime soon.
Message 13 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just thought I would tidy up the thread. I phoned last Wednesday as the phone still had not arrived, after a bit of delay and discussions with his co workers he said he would email his managers as there was a problem and he would phone me back that night. It was actually the Thursday that I got the call to let me know that the phone was no longer in the system and I would be payed the  full amount, I accepted.

I am glad that it is all over but I really would have liked to have seen the condition of the phone.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread.

Message 14 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 recycle are a complete con artists, they knocked 10% of my phone for cosmetic damage when it was immaculate, and did the same to several friends. They have also not paid me and are failing to answer! No phone, no money, no response...lots of hassle. Do not use them. O2 should remove the use of their name for this company!
Message 15 of 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I think in principle it's a great idea but maybe an overhaul of procedure is required. Perhaps a condition report should be completed in store when you take your phone in that both O2 and the customer sign, then, no nasty shocks or dirty tricks later on....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 42

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You will have had the option to have the phone back and sell it elsewhere.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 17 of 42

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Only issue in doing instore condition reports is it won't prevent "damage" in transit.

It does seem rather suspect:( its a shame the payment cannot be done instore as well.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 18 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did get the option to get the phone back but after paying £6 to post it in the first place I conceded to accept the lower offer but now a month later with much chasing, no payment! Extremely poor service.
Message 19 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:
Only issue in doing instore condition reports is it won't prevent "damage" in transit.

It does seem rather suspect:( its a shame the payment cannot be done instore as well.

As long as both the store and the customer has signed it damage in transit in my opinion would be down to o2 and they would have to claim off of the company they use it really isn't the customers problem

Message 20 of 42