Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 locked phone

Archie_wan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello there, I brought a very old iPhone 3G from a CeX store recently and I use it as an mp3 player. It is locked to the O2 network and I wish to use an old EE sim card of mine in the phone to use as in an emergency or for a backup if my daily phone breaks. It says on the current page about unlocking O2 phones, that you need an existing O2 sim/phone number to unlock it however I don't have one (It also seems to be the one that the phone is originally activated with but I may be wrong). Is it possible to unlock it any other way for free or will I have to leave it locked? Many thanks, Archie.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
You just need any o2 sim so you can use the phone and register it on the network again.
It is now completely free to unlock any phone.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
You just need any o2 sim so you can use the phone and register it on the network again.
It is now completely free to unlock any phone.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Archie_wan
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

But I still have to buy a sim, and put some credit on it to unlock?

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

No you can get a free sim as indicated in the guide....but you will have to top up and make a few calls to register the sim on the network... @Archie_wan

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Yes, it's all explained in the guide I gave you.
If you can find someone with an O2 contract sim it's even easier to do.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Archie_wan
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Say if my friend was on o2, I could borrow it to unlock my phone?

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Yes

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Archie_wan welcome to our forum! Good info above from our members - let us know if you're all good now or if there's anything else the community can help with? slight_smile

Cheers guys for your advice @Cleoriff and @MI5smiling

Message 8 of 8